[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Some of my antique barbed wire

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:20 pm 
Major
Major

Nice examples, there is always some to appriciate some thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:57 am 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...there is a big mess of stuff thats just like the type on the very bottom out back just before the creek where the end of my rapidly fading "range" is... :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:43 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

this is an interesting thing to collect and you are far from alone, there are lots in the field of this, you also have some great examples - particularly the old ones - we in the midwest [west of the mississippi to you who live in the ohio valley and chicago] and west have access to more i think, it was far more controversial here with the 'open range' wars and all,
personally i grew up with a three strand fence in my back yard, i got caught on the "barbed fence" more times than i want to recall and ive got the scars to prove it [but yall have to be a lot more friendly to see those]
i know of at least one time when my father "fixed the fence" he shot it in half with my freshly cleaned 303 - upon my congratulations of a fine shot/and following his four letter tirade about how it was gonna be tough to fix - we fixed it - at age 9 i was amazed at what it took to string fence, i think the 48inch stump he positioned for a target got moved to the other side of the strands that day too - to be young again :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:07 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i used to see these collections around here , but its been years since ive known anyone who activly collects it , as i said i think its really cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:04 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...well,the date you give for that stuff on the bottom would fit the timeframe for here....i'm gonna make a point of going out back and cutting a section off.....its kinda on the rusty side though-but still tough..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

now thats really cool , you actualy have some very old wire laying out there ? and you can get to it and cut a foot or so ? save me a piece

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:10 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....oh believe me-its still there-and lots of it.....in fact there's a big batch thats still coiled up in a roll back by the treeline where the bank drops off to a creek...looks like someone just dumped and left it after running a bunch of it because they didnt wanna drag it back-I had no idea it was that old...I'll go out and lop off a section sometime between now and the end of the year when I'm on vacation and the weather is decent...if you really want it I'll send you some... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i really want it , i have not seen a bunch piled up like that since i was a kid but im going looking now , i just figured everybody got rid of it , or it rusted away , :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:45 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

If I'd been shot by a Japanese rifle as many times as I have been stuck with barb wire I wouldn't collect rifles either. riceone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:30 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....heck-I get nervous over stretchin' a rubber band........tend to close my eyes... :oops: :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

mine told me stories too tetsau, but it didn't stop me from getting sliced. i will admit it stopped me from volunteering on any fencing crews tho :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:43 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

That top one looks mighty mean.

Strangest wire I ever saw basically had little spurs (like the kind youd see on a pair of boots) ever so many inches.

More than once I've felt the kiss of barbed wire across my hide :lol

Neat stuff.

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:20 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

post the photos when you do,

its interesting, as a youth rambling[hunting] the fencelines and ravines you would come across large coils of the old stuff buried in tall grass, all sorts, newer fence strung a few yards away, sometimes the coils were still tied,just never used, most likely staged strategically for repairs at a later date and forgotten, now those areas are all housing and these are long ago gone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Can't wait to see the rest of them!

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.