[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - My muzzleloaders

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My muzzleloaders
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:03 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Here they are from left to right:
1. Traditions Fox River Fifty, 50cal
2. Traditions Deerhunter, 50cal
3. Ridge Runner from Century Arms, 54cal - Sold on GB
4. Knight Extreme Disc, 45cal
Handguns:
5. CVA Kentucky, 45cal
6. FIE engraved 36cal, older model, unfired
Not done yet! May add another as early as today!

Last edited by Stenzilla on Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Post subject
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:00 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Thanks Pete! I'm afraid I've got CBV, Charcoal Burner Virus. Selling the Ridge Runner on GB, will probably find another today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:54 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very nice :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Nice collection Randy!

At one time I had quite the passion for the vorderladers. I need to get out & use mine some more. I have been eyeing up a lefty 50 calibre Tennessee rifle kit, but don't have 5-1/2 bills to plop down on it :-?

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:00 pm 
Major
Major

How did you fare with the stuck ball??

Post subject: Stuck ball
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:28 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I stored the rifle carefully till I could get to the range. I took the barrel off and topped-off the charge through the vent. I also had to re-install the flint, Traditions has a lousy hammer system in my opinion. She went off, slowly, as did the two shots after that. All cleaned and buttered and I will wait till spring to break her out again. I may need to attend classes to learn more about the care and feeding of flintlocks as I'm not having fun yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:18 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Nice lineup! I've only got one flintlock,a T/C .50( I still have trouble with the idea of an inline being a real muzzleloader)-the fun is in the suspense-
will it go BANG when I pull the trigger? :lol I'll be out aggravating myself tomorrow and Sat. with mine, trying to kill a deer. -TR

Rome fell because it had a Senate-what will become of us with both a Senate and a House-Will Rogers

Post subject: Percussion caps
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:44 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Anyone know the difference between the #11 and the #10 caps? They look the same to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:48 pm 
Major
Major

#10 is slightly smaller cap

GG

P.S. I have one of the traditions deerhunter flintlocks also.

mine was contemptible at first but after a bit it has become reliable.
Some tips.

1. carry a spare flint (sometimes a flint can just die altogether no spark no boom)

2. toss out all the fancy cleaners ect and use plain hot soapy water.
I take out the barrel put it breech end down in a bucket of hot soapy water and using a patch and patch jag pump the water into the barrel this cleans the vent really well (very important on a flinter)

3 I carry a small peice of sandcloth to dress the frizzen this helps get a good spark.

4 get used to the click,foosh,BOOM it's the nature of the beast.
train yourself not to flinch when the priming powder goes off else you will miss your shots.

5 when priming the pan make sure you have enough powder in it to cover the bottom of the pan and tilt and bump the rifle slightly to get some of that powder to flow into the vent. this gives you a bit quicker ignition.

Old Thor ain't got nothing on me.

Gungrubber

Post subject: Flint advice
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:40 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Wow!!! All that will be very helpful, especially the sandpaper for the frizzen. Thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:12 pm 
Major
Major

No problem.

oh sandpaper works ok But I prefer sand cloth (the stuff with the cloth backing) it's more durable look in the plumbing supplies for it it usually
comes on a roll for cleaning pipe joints

Don't know if it matters but when I dress the frizzen I sand back n forth not up n down. I figgure this helps the flint spark better as it is moving down across the grain of the sanding but I don't have any scientific proof that it does. basically your just trying to roughen up the steel a bit.

Also looking at your post in the muzzleloaders forum I see you are using pyrodex. I tried that too :cry: Stick with good old black powder
it works much better in the flinters 4f for the flashpan 3 or 2 f for the main charge the pyrodex can be a royal pain in the rear.

GG

Old Thor ain't got nothing on me.

Gungrubber

Post subject: Post subject
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:55 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:38 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

All good advice,except I'll take a little issue with #5-Fill the pan about 2/3 full & keep the powder out of the flashole-you want a blast of flame,not a fuse. I load mine this way and have yet to have it go click-foosh-bang.She just goes bang.Another thing I found helps,carry some of the alcohol swab packets you can buy in drugstores(diabetic supplies) and wipe the pan out before repriming.This helps get rid of fouling,especially in wet weather. Also,carry a pick & clean the flashole ( not necessarrily after every shot)as well.-TR

Rome fell because it had a Senate-what will become of us with both a Senate and a House-Will Rogers