[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - which 45.70 lever ?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: which 45.70 lever ?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:53 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

hello.
IF i had say $500 to spend which 45-70 lever is a good buy ?
new or used (there is a gun show this weekend here in littlerock).
i'm not to keen on short barrels i don't hunt much anymore so paper is all i harvest, and i cast and load for my springfield trap so food isn't a big issue (but lead is getting harder to find ,bummer!!!).
anywho what do yall like ? :duel:
have a great night adrians :Dbounce:

Post subject: Re: which 45.70 lever ?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:28 pm 
LCDR
LCDR

This picture for display only..Guns Not For Sale.

Image Image [img]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Seller ... ser=956475

http://stores.ebay.com/workenladyo8?_rdc=1

Last edited by JOHNNY WACKO on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:37 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

hey wacko is that a 1885 guide ? and how does it shoot ? :twisted: :Dbounce: :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:42 pm 
LCDR
LCDR

Its a 1895 ,,Shots good when my friend shoots it.I can't fire it because of my crushed rib cage. :cry:

Image Image [img]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:14 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very nice -

i want one , but i want it for for SASS side match buffalo shootin - thinking a single shot falling block

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:21 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

yer i meant 1895,i agree it looks good maybe i.ll change my mind about shorter barrels ,i,m tempted :twisted: :oops: :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:23 pm 
LCDR
LCDR

Its ported , but you can't tell from the picture.

Image Image [img]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:22 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I very much like my ported 45-70 guide gun. Very accurate. I like my ported Outfitter in 444 Marlin better, though.

310 grain hard cast, gas checked bullet over all the H322 I can cramb in the case. Backs up severely but I would not be afraid to take it to Africa. SW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i went ahead and ordered a marlin 1895 cowboy for my purpose , took advantage of a contact i have , now i need a tang sight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:41 am 
LCDR
LCDR

I broke down and shot this bad boy,,and after 11 years without firing a hi powered rifle or shotgun.I got a KICK out of it.It shakes the teeth in my head..BUT my body held up fine..I hope i don't get all fired up and then get hurt again.Ill have to pace myself.I put 7 Rd's down the tube and no flair up of the ribs.I worry because my top right rib is broke in the middle and 1 end is under my arm pitt. :ow:

But I'm hopefully i can shoot some clays now???I hope. :jmp:

Image Image [img]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:15 pm 
PFC
PFC

My Marlin 1895 45/70 is one I bought back in the mid 1970s. It had a curved butt plate and was painful to shoot with my handloads (400 grain sp over 53 grains of 3031 for 1800fps). I had a shotgun butt plate installed which cured the problem. Tried it briefly with a scope but it kicked too much and put my eye in danger. I finally settled for a fine Lyman receiver sight. This fine rifle has accounted for numerous deer and once produced a 100 yard 5 shot group of 1". It almost duplicated that performance a few times but just didn't get under 1.5" at that distance. A better shot than me could have fared better, no doubt.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:58 pm 

I have a Lyman receiver sight on mine. Loaned it to my main man who whacked a buffalo with it a couple years ago. I recently shot him a favorable price on it. For a big cartridge, I like 577 Snider better. SW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:13 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I see these are old post, but I enjoy levers as well
As old military surplus.
I found a guide gun about two years ago used
In 450 m. That I wanted to buy, but the gun
Shop didn't have any ammo.for it.
So I started looking around all over for ammo.
Nobody had any. It was about 8 months later
That I found about 5 boxes of ammo. I called the
Gun shop that had the marlin, he sold it.
So I found a 45/70 , and that made more sen.ce
Because I use to have a 45/70 years ago and
Still had shells for it. So I got the 45/70.
And of course about 3 months later I find another
450 , only this one doesn't have the ported barrel.
It was like new, and followed me home.
This will be my first hunting season with the 450
And I can't wait to take her for a good long walk
In the woods.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

this is an old thread - but the story was never finished , even with my connection - it was a good one - i never got the rifle , i ended up with a quiggly - still a lever - just not quite the same , from an equally valued connection in the industry , it is probably the better choice in the end for what i was looking for - cowboy long range side matches , but im not thinking at my age either would not have done fine , younger mans game to be sure ,

but it works well

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:57 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Very nice.
I was thinking of trying some shooting at my club
Were they shoot 3 diff.position s at steel target s
I don't know if I could , even off a mat. In prone.
Mite give it a try this summer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:14 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

do it - do everything you think to do , its a short life and the regrets are no fun ,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:46 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I quest they have a diff. Class for
The old military rifles with. Original
Iron sites , etc.
I will have to go watch some time.