[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Has anyone ever used Trail Boss in a cap&Ball Revolver?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:55 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Using Trail Boss in a cap and ballrevolver has been a thougth I have had and have not tried it, to me is sound like like it would work if charge's are weighed out first at a lower charge than say for a 44/40 WCF cartridge ?
What does anybody think?? I realize the steel in a cap and ball cylinder is probably weaker and this would have to be aproached with caution.. :-?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:32 pm 
Major
Major

If the powder manufacturer does not list it as an appropriate powder for C&B, you are taking a BIG chance.
Spend the $25 and buy American Pioneer or Pyrodex.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:29 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I think your right, but it just sound to me like it would work if the charge is low enough because Trailboss is use where black powder was use originally.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:56 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

:kap: I just tried Trail boss in my cap&ball 44 colt, I started with a starting load for a 44 colt cartrige load :-? it didn't even hardlly hit the target,, so I move up 1 grn little better but still didnt like to burn,, so I moved up another grn then jumpt to a full loaded chamber and result better but it just didn'nt burn well.. I believe it is the caps, just not hot enough....Don't know if I will bother try again.. taking chances is not very smart but all my cartridge loads so far are low pressure I just had to try it....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:28 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Well,,, I must have a Death Wish,,, because I just had to try it again,,, and this time I used 5 grains, of shockley's B.P. substitute under 20grains of Trail Boss and it worked,,,very low recoil and all fired nice and it seems to need something to ignite it better.... all loads are by volume!! got to try this again .... now!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:06 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

There is a new BP substitute out that is non corrosive.

Alliant Black MZ. I haven't used it so I can't speak for it's performance

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:46 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

IMO shokeys is no good. I tried it & it clung to everything - too fine. It stuck to metal & plastic funnels when I tried it in BPCR.

I thought it was a chain fire waiting to happen in a revolver.

If it wasn't such a PITA to ship, I'd just give it to someone. Pyrodex or 777 for me. SW

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:24 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Is it the same? New name same ole chit?

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:41 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

HMmmmm, You probably right, It is very fine and inconsistent in size and does cling, I only shot shokleys once by it self and it was very smokey and it seems to be sooty, there was a lot of fouling in my barrel, I put about 36 or more shots through the cap n ball before cleaning, and when I tried with the trail boss I only shot about 12. eveything was pretty clean..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:26 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

ahhhh. finally got good results,, I still used about 5 grns of 2f pyrodex next to the cap then I used 25grns of trail boss on top, then toped if all off with a 180grn conical bullet of .450 dia. and it jump with some real recoil, that seemed to be the kicker, it needed more pressure of a created by a higher bullet weight.

all measuring of powders are of a volume powder measure. so next test will be with less Trailboss and need to use a cronigraph.
Now I need to start looking for a 1872 open top......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:28 pm 

Keep in mind the time/pressure curve of the various powders... one load, things will be fine & dandy; a trifle more and things start coming apart.

That said - I put a 38 spl cylinder in a Pietta 1851 repro. I use the dedicated .375" round ball with the lightest load I could find = 3.0/700X. Very mild and fun.

I also have a Cimarron 1872 open top in 44 Colt. I use 44 Russian brass since it also works for 10.35 Italian service revolver. Another fun revolver! The open tops don't take a lot of abuse, though. Light loads only for me!

I just got in from work but will post a few pics later on today. SW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:02 pm 

Top is my Cimarron 1872 open top in 44 Colt. Then consecutively numbered I don't know whats also in 44 Colt. Bottom is my Pietta 1851 C&B with 38 spl cylinder. SW

Cast 002 (1024x923).jpg
Cast 002 (1024x923).jpg [ 361.3 KiB | Viewed 9541 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:07 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I have noticed in some of my 45 loads and other cal. that there is a point where presures do rise quickly and I must admit my 1851 in .44 cap and ball did jump rather stout and I want to try it with a lesser load with a crony. it did have a major change from a round ball to a conical bullet even though it was not anymore than 30 grns. heavyer, although the conical has alot more surface on the barrel. from here is to be more safe and exeriment with caution! but the old Army San Marco is holding its own. and I am not looking to destroy it or myself in my quest to burn cleaner.
thanks for the warning. sometimes I do without thinking it out first..... by the way, Nice shooters!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:36 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

well I am at it again! just tried a real buffalo walapin Load,,, I put 5grn. {by volume} tripple seven in first to be my ignighter then I put 10grns {by weight} of Trailboss with a 200grn conicle bullet on top and Rem cap to set it ablase, and did it ever,,,,, 1150 FPS. then proceded to finish five more. Conclusion!!! too Hot for this 1858 Reminton .44 must down load from here.. before this load I tried 30grns. of Tripple 7 with the same bullet molded from wheel weights and got about the same velocities,,,a little hard Id say for this gun.. I need to find a good place to buy soft lead with out braking the bank..... midway wants 36$$$$ for just 7.75Lbs of lead.... its cheaper to buy a box of 500 bullets and melt them down.....! got to load liter before I get hurt!!!!