[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - 44-40 Rossi Winchester 92 Replica

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:06 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I Just had to buy it,, and can not find very much on reloading the 44. WCF, so far I just reloaded the first box of cowboy Hornady loads that were so winpy, I see why cowboy shoots use such a light load, the gun does not have any recoil... So I reloaded the case's with a 430. dia. 200grn bullet and 30 grains of pyrodex RS and was amased at the diference, it accually had some recoil.and the bullets shot about 4 inchs higher at about 40yds. have not cronigraphed this as I was on a sort of vaction. I now know that I can go higher on the load Pyrodrex to about 35grns to be closer to the origanal load.
Has any one used a more robust load of smokeless powder? or compressed load of blackpowder subs.
This Rossi M92 is in stainless so I plan to use more Blackpowder, or substitutes. Cause when it comes down to Having fun I like to make smoke...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:22 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I messed around with AA5744 and got accuracy but pressures were low and I wound up with a lot of granular residue in the barrel. Now I use Unique, but not much for smoke that way. The steel of your rifle should be good enough it will stand whatever you can cramb in the case as far as BP or subs. 777 is quite a bit hotter than pyrodex.

I like Walters .030" veggie wads for BPCR. SW

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:45 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Yah, I do believe you are right, about the 777 is about 20% higher on loads and I have use it on other cartridges, but I noticed it is corosive on brass case's but it will be on my list of powders for it. Has anyone used IMR 4227 ?? I used it in my 45LC with a 250 LRFN with sum pretty nice results. For some reason I have been a fan of IMR powder but now it should not matter because they are owned along with Winchester by Hodgen powder's I think. I found on one forum that one persons been loading up his Rossi 44-40 with IMR 4227 @ 24.grns with a 200grn Hornady XTP bullet??? Sounds real HOT to me. ????

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

just getting started in this area i have nothing to offer you , but im starting to load for cowboy - big thing im worried about is getting my loads so low i get a squib , but i want them low as possible these days ,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:19 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Cowboy loads are Reduced loads, therefore have little recoil, if your loading for yourself, do your home work because too low a load can do major damage, or cause gase's to escape and come back in your face and cause major burns. I been peppered in the forehead from primers not failer to ignite the powder properly...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

"... I see why cowboy shoots use such a light load, the gun does not have any recoil..."

thats the goal , im not looking for too light a load , been using 5 grains of red dot or clays and been happy with that , im looking for a nice light charge of red dot for the 12ga 3/4oz im looking to use next year , been using 7/8oz this year , like the idea of the lower recoil and dont need all that shot on these close targets ,

im shooting a similar rifle to yours - these are made to current tech and capable of any commercial load you might choose to go with , my friends who shoot black in theirs load them for affect when they shoot the long range side matches , they download for match stages ,

one of the characters in our club shoots only black - he was a rendevour in a previous point in his life , he adds colored feathers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:35 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I have never shot or been to a cowboy shoot and it sounds fun I am not good enough or fast enough to compete at any shoots i just like going out and experiment with different guns and different loads and just trying to have fun at it and be safe.. A Neighbor of mine that I only see if when I go to Maine on vacation goes to a lot of shoots to compete, but he uses Winchester Yellow boy and a rolling block 45-70. and he uses only Black powder.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:06 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i dont shoot cowboy to win - im too old , i shoot for fun , its a timed event but its up to you what you make of it - i hope to get my grandson involved and be able to use it to innitiate him to shooting while being able to participate with him ,

and when it starts excluding us that cannot compete anymore i will quit and lend my voice to something else - loudly

i shoot three gun as well but im getting too old to compete with the young shooters , its a fast sport , and you need good eyes , and im no longer fast , but ill get my grandson into this - he will be fast and accurate if started right ,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The only 44-40 reloading I ever did was pull the boolets & fill with BP, then re-seat the boolets. I did this for a S&W No.3 'New Frontier' that I traded some time ago

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:33 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

No I don't shoot cowboy either, I don't think I am any way good enough to even think about it.. I just like to reload many different cal. and just take a slow day at the shooting range.. I like to reload, and cronagraph what I reload and be as accurate as I can My eyes are not clear enough so scope are best but i still shoot iron sights with gare...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:51 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

You can load that puppy as hot as you want to. Those Rossi/Puma 92s are built tough, I have one in 454 Casull and have seem no sign of stress (except on my shoulder) and that is a lot more pressure that you will get in your cartridge.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:00 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

From what I have been reading it can take a pretty hot load. so far I have only loaded it with pyrodex and I know when better wheather comes, I will load it hotter loads..
I have seen some are loading it as high as 1800fps with a 200grain pill. thats really spitting it out..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:10 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

yup,, been playing around with Trail Boss, and started out with using 6.5 grns and now I am up to 8.5grns. and still no signs of high pressure, got a little recoil now,,,,,, :grin: going up next time, have not used the cronagraph, not enough sun lately.......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:25 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

:m60: I am up to 11grns of Trail Boss with a home cast 200grn pellet of wheel weights and still no signs of too much pressure with a nice feel of recoil now and I will try 12 grns of Trail boss next ........ and maybe stop there for now, untill I can cronagraph!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:38 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Well, I am loosing track of how much in grains of Trail Boss lately, I just use a black powder scale now I think its around 11.5grns. and I just fill up the case with about 38grns by volume and it cronigraph around 1100 feet per. second in my handgun. and around 1200 in my Rossi Carbine. it makes smoke and its clean.. love the stuff.

Last edited by shootster on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:31 pm 

A gent who mostly just lurks in these days ( Airdale) gave me a great idea for BP filler - floral foam. The green stuff fleurists stick full of fleurs & add water. Cheep & lightweight.

I've been having a LOT of fun with the 1851 Pietta repro that's now a 38 special. 3.0 grains 700X & a .375 round ball. NO recoil & easy on the BP frame. Not for brass frames though.

Then I've been using Trailboss in 44 Russian. No accuracy reports but it's way fun. SW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:13 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

So you must have a cartridge conversion, that is a .36 cap and ball converted to .38 cartridge. How are those? never looked at them exept in magazines.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:24 pm 

I converted it myself. Scored a ratty Pietta 1851 for 140 at auction & then got a cylinder w/ loading gate from Buffalo Arms. 300 for that so you need to get your revolver as cheep as possible or you'd be just as well of to buy a ready-made 38 special for 550.

The instructions said to relieve the frame with a Dremel so cartridges could be stuffed in the cylinder but that seemed like a good way to burn up the dremel. Quite a bit of metal has to be removed.

So I scored a round single cut bastage and dived in. Smoothed things up with a dremel.

Works like a champ and WAY fun! :bigrin: SW

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=10923