Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:55 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I need my head examined, :velo: I got on order a 1875 Rem. coming in the next few days and I was wandering if anybody knew how strong are they? can they take a load hoter than a standard equivalant Black powder load, or can they take more????

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:37 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

They are plenty stout - I had one in 357 & loaded hot for it.

The brass isn't that stout & will head separate if you make mastadon whackers. Stay with published loads and you will be just fine.

I say any published rifle data is good to go in one of these. Actually, rifle and pistol data are pretty much the same. SW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:17 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

looking forward to the photos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:23 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Thanks I got it tues. and had to go to an lawyer and then the police, and another, My sister went wacko on my caregiver for my mother,,, she must be banned from here if there are any caregivers here!
I still havent shot it yet, but I do think it is a really nice looking piece. its a Uberti and i did not know but its got a first click and it hold the hammer off the primer,,, like that. I was wandering if I could load six or five,, but now I know it can be caried with six... :grin: I still do not know how to upload pics..
I worked up loads for my Rosi lever action 44-40 with twice the powder recemended load for Trail Boss at 13grns. on a 200pill. and it has no high pressure signs do you think is too stout?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:08 pm 

I don't find anything for trailboss, but I did find the new Lyman manual shows 18 to 20 grains of 2400 & a 200 grain bullet. Which I consider to be a stiff load. No pressure signs or resistance when FL sizing should mean you are okay.

That said, your time/pressure curve can go from an arc to a vertical line very quickly with experimental loads. SW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:27 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I finally shot it today, and with 9.5 grns of trail boss it hits were I aim it and the 200grn bullet sunk in a little more than an inch in a pine log, and 13grns of trail boss I didn't find it with my mini leatherman, the primers on the hotter load did flaten a little I will not go any higher, the brass pop out of the chamber easy, I will go and FL size them to see how that is... thanks Nebrhogger.. Ok back from reloading and with case lube they all resized with little resistence. ..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:11 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I have found that loading
Trailboss, Pyrodex, seems to be giving me the same velosities when I weigh them like measuring black powder by vollume, about 35grns 200grn bullet @ about 1000- 1200fps... a little kick butt thumper.... I liked it execpt Pyrodex clogged the Remington after 6 shots then I reloaded it and it was hard the get the second cyl. through before I had to help turn the cyl. when I pulled the hammer.....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:50 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

well I just fired some loads of trailboss with 10grns. with 200grn. bullet and I got velosities of 955-980 fps. plenty stilff, for this Uberti..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:02 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Just tried Black MZ in my 1875Rem. 44WCF at about 36-37 grns. by volume I achieved about 550 fps. adding just a couple more grn. a full case it shot up to above 1000fps. it clean up nice and easy...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:22 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

just tried something new, just loaded 27grns. of IMR 4198 ohhh, just a kick ass load, too hot,, 1200fps in my Uberti. But the primer where round except two.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:37 pm 

The time/pressure curve of IMR 4198 can quickly get out of hand. Found that out the hard way with 7.62x39 before good data was available. The Maadi Steyr AK held together though. SW

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:29 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

No. not going to go that hot again, I did two that went a bit high, but it worked in my Ruger, but again I am going to load it down next, 25.5 and see if that is better.