Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:11 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I think I have an adiction, I just ordered a 1873 Reproduction with a 24.25" barrel. I have been looking for Loads for it, Goex show 44-40 loads with 39 grns. Black powder,with a 200grn bullet, with about 1100fps. sounds a little stout. I like to use trailboss, its clean and makes a little smoke, all I find is cowboy loads, what gives...... anybody have experience with 1873s, toggle linkage? I would like to load as it was ment to be and not cowboy loads is 1100fps realistic and safe? if so I can work with that gladly.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:13 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I had an 1866 copy in 44-40. Fed it 200 grainers and a light charge of Unique. No problems. I have messed around with AA 5744. No pressures to speak of, but you get a lot of granular residue in the barrel. Trail Boss should do well. SW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:27 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ive been reading a lot on loads and such lately , while ill not hold myself up as even mildly educated on the tipic it seems ive recently read that the cowboy action shooting replicas while being well made and such are intended for cowboy downloads and not recomended to shoot high preasure loads ,

i could be all wrong on yours buy i tend to stay with what the mfgr sugests

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:34 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I do know Dixie Gun Works says on the website to use blackpowder loads or to use factory loaded ammo, so can I load to get the same loads as blackpowder velosecties? it sounds that way??? even winchester make loads with jacketed ammo in there supper X ammo. can you shoot supper X in an 1866? It seems that they would build them to use commercial ammo so there is know liabillities on there part. 12/6/2012 Update. I recieved it yesterday and it says to use SAAMI ammo in it so it shouldn't be a problem to use commercial loads. Im happy....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:42 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Well here's the answer i want to here.... Oh, it from myself,,, well anyway here is what I am doing,, I worked up a set of loads between all the clouds and rain, up here in NH, I found 9grns of trail boss gave me velosities between 1196 ps and 1240 with a 200 grn lead bullet, and 10grns gave me 1230 and 1290fps which is the same load of 39grns of black powder gave, so its a little high, but I think its my max load and 9grns. is more like the target that it should be.......

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:45 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Just tried a new powder!!!!! I just used Black MZ in my 1873 Uberti, I found working up my load up to about 37 grns of this very course powder work fine in a rifle but to slow in a revolver unless adding two more grns to reach the magic number. anyway 36- 37grns by volume in my 40WCF using a 24" barrel I acheaved around 1250fps. but in my 1875revolver its only around 550fps. unless I increase it by only a couple of grains it jumpt to 1000fps.. and is basicly a full case, compressed. And it does clean up easy.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:25 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Update. the new black MZ not only cleaned up easy, with only a couple patch's and its not causing any corrosion in the barrel yet. brass corroded quickly, so it must be cleaned right away.
so now I have too many bottles of pyrodex and triple seven.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:26 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Update. the new black MZ not only cleaned up easy, with only a couple patch's and its not causing any corrosion in the barrel yet. brass corroded quickly, so it must be cleaned right away.
so now I have too many bottles of pyrodex and triple seven.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:28 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Just tried another Load way too hot, 27grns. IMR 4198 almost all loads where 1588fps. all primers where round as can be. barrel leaded up.. got to work this powder down from here...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:35 pm 

Too bad there are shipping complications - I'd sure buy some of your extra 777. SW

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:32 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I am going to use it up loading my shotgun with it mostly, its easyer to clean!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:16 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I have found that a home made bullet, made from a Lee mould and resized to .428 200 grain bullet 9grains of Trail Boss shoots most accurate for my Uberti at about 1200fps. :m60: and if using BlackMZ I almost fill the case and it makes a lot of smoke :evil: and is easy to clean!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:19 pm 

Easier to clean is better! Some people get all OCD about using actual BP, but I say whatever works. I even use BP subs in my flint grinders - with actual black in the pan to light it. SW