[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Hell On Wheels

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hell On Wheels
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:44 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Any one been watching that series about the railroad just after the civil war? Well it has me interested in getting an black powder pistol. I have a muzzle loader hunting rifle so I am familiar with how to load and use one. But there are so many to choose from. In the series he used a Griswald then a 1858 Remington I think. I don't want to spend alot of money and I see they start at 239$ and up. Any advice since I really just want one and don't have alot of cash.

Post subject: Re: Hell On Wheels
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:44 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

If time's not an issue, watch gunborker. I scored a steel 1858 repro not long ago for 125 - probably because it looked "worn". Looked like it had been carried much & shot little. Shoots great!

I also get such things at gun shows. Around here people pass them by while looking for cheep EBRs & AKs. I grabbed a steel 1860 repro also for cheep not that long ago. It lives in Oooooo-hio now. SW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:13 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

No hurry . Cabelas has a Pietta 1858 brass frame .44 caliber for sale $179. But I have read steel frame is better but also seem to cost more.
Any real difference between .36 or .44 caliber. They have a Griswold .36 brass frame for $219.
I will watch gunbroker also.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:17 pm 

If fired often, brass frames will stretch a bit - just enough to be out of spec. Plus, if you get a steel frame, you can save your change for a centerfire cylinder.

Given the option, I would go for a 36 cal strictly for the lesser cost of shooting it.

Other than that, I have no preference between Pietta or Uberti. Both are quality revolvers. SW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:58 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

:Dbounce:

20150825_132426sm.jpg
20150825_132426sm.jpg [ 261.88 KiB | Viewed 8711 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

mario - does that have the conversion cylinder ? the 1860 ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:40 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....yes sir... :Dbounce: ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:44 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Thanks for the info. Will this turn out like when I first got 1 military rifle which multiplied into a dozen. I started with a Chinese T53 which lead to WW2 rifles which lead to WW1 and now Civil War.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:48 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

This is my first Civil War era rifle. It is a 1851 Harpers Ferry model 42 that I think is a Banners conversion to a shot gun. I have read they were surplus after the war and some made into shotguns and sold to people heading west.

Attachments:
1851.jpg
1851.jpg [ 168.82 KiB | Viewed 8702 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:37 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice piece even if a bannermans - those have value these days all on their own ,

my older pieces these days are british military , but i like the cowboy vintage pieces of this country , im seriously considering one like marios 1860 with the conversion so i can reload and shoot smokeless for my SASS fun , only isues i have is i must convert to 45colt - im not starting with a new cartridge these days

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:54 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

A quick update. Cabelas has the 1858 new army with a spare cylinder for 239 . 100 off regular price. Steel frame. Sitting on my desk waiting to be cleaned when I get back home today.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:11 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice , i need a week or two before ill be able to check these out ,