[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Smoothbore Rifles?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smoothbore Rifles?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:15 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

How accurate can these be? Are there any "rifled slug" type bulllets out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:27 am 
Major
Major

Had a smooth bore musket one time. It could hit a 3 ft square target at 25 yds reliably. It would hit that same target 1 out of 5 at 50 yds. To me it was a total waste of ammo and powder. It was sold to someone to hang over their fireplace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:34 pm 
Major
Major

smoothbores are a 50 yrd gun if that usually.

I am contemplating making a smoothbore matchlock just for something fun to do.

GG

Old Thor ain't got nothing on me.

Gungrubber

Post subject: Smooth bore
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:38 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

This a newer Hawken type rifle, maybe a Traditions from the look of the stock, double-set triggers too. No rifled type bullets to add to any accuracy potential? Would it matter if it were 54cal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:16 pm 
Major
Major

You would have to check the Dixie catalog, or maybe the web site to see if they have rifled bullets, but that is not going to be a problem solver. You may hit paper 2 times out of 5. If you like black powder guns, start leaning to the caplocks, and get the nipples that will convert to musket caps. They throw more spark. Flintlock shooters have to have a high tolerence for frustration, and you can always tell a flinter because he has small black specks on the right side of his face...Can you imagine the frustration that morning of the Alamo? Had it been 10 years later, I bet they could have held successfully. Forty years later it would have been a definite and successful defense.

Post subject: Post subject
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:21 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

This particular rifle I'm looking at is a caplock. Funny, I've wondered if there was a conversion to musket caps available, may do my other rifle at the same time. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:34 pm 
Major
Major

Post subject: Smooth bore
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:11 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject: Smoothbore
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:29 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Time to show all what gun I'm talking about.

ImageImage

This is GB #88488360, I bid $150, BIN is $200. I say Traditions because the stock is flat on the bottom, as my two are. Killer is he wants $30 to ship, way too much, unless there's a hardcase with it.

Last edited by Stenzilla on Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:29 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

That looks like a standard "Hawken" type to me. If it is a smoothbore it been screwed with. Contact the seller I bet it is rifled.

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:56 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I will find out this week, I won the rifle for $150 and $30 ship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:36 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

It arrived Friday. Made by Adessa of Spain, smoothbore alright. Nice looking musket, I'll get a few pics today. As for my shipment of BP, it also arrived this week. What bothered me about that was UPS was supposed to get my signature, the driver handed me the box and drove away. I called Powder, Inc the next day and let them know this. They say UPS has a bad habit of ingoring the signature thing, scary as I was just going to work and the wife wouldn't be home from her job for several hours! The thought of that box, with all the HAZMAT stickers along with the class A dry explosive emblems on it would have been too much temptation for kids.ImageImageImage[img][img]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff283/RANDY393/smoothbore.jpg[/img]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff283/RANDY393/sights2.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:53 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:24 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

At 50yds, with 100grs Goex and 100grs Shockleys Gold, patched ball, I was off the paper. Standing at 25yds, I hit the bull. I'll admit to fiddlin' with the set triggers, rear wasn't working right, primary was around 10lbs. so accuracy wasn't as good as could be. I will try again next week with 120gr Pyodex Pellets and I'll bring a screwdriver small enough to adjust the rear sight. If I can hit the pie plate at 50yds, I'll be happy. I called Traditions, who handle this Ardesa Musket, to see if I can get a rifled barrel for this gun. According to my serial number, it's a late 80's to early 90's make. There's hope, I'll learn more next week. Nice gun, great sights, pity if it won't perform, we'll see.