[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Colt Navy or Pocket Police?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:47 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I bought this at an auction today, but don't have it in hand. It was marked "1870 Colt Navy .36 Ser # A44387" but the serial number wouldn't be right, I don't think. My guess is it might be a 1862 Pocket Police. Anyone in the crowd good enough at Colt identification to do with this limited info?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:20 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:23 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

NRA life member
583rd ORD Co/59 ORD BDE
Handorf FRG 1988-1990

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:27 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Last edited by A square 10 on Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:00 pm 
Major
Major

Thats a replica, right? Colt didn't use letters that I know until the 20th Century.Never heard of a model 1870, and the barrel seems way too long for a '62 pocket. Looks like a mdl 1860. Too good of a condition to be anything but a replica.

Post subject: Colt Navy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:39 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Is it a correct serial number for a Colt Second Generation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:56 pm 
Major
Major

None of my meager books show those numbers, or that there was a remake of them. When you say second generation, you mean made when? That term I believe is usually reserved for the 'Peacemaker' 1873 model. Did the seller specifically say it was original? They usually are specific as to year made. My books don't show a 1870 model either. Sadly no decent photos of the Pocket Pistol line, but they usually are on the size of the 1849 pocket sizes...I know Colt did remake some of their blackpowder line, and likely that one is one of their remakes. Technically wouldn't be a replica, since Colt made it, but it would not be an antique either. I am no expert, but have seen a ton of guns in my years...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:35 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Oh your drifting from them Carcano's now :? :? bring it back in and lets get those priorities right!!

Weather its a real one or new made a friend has one like yours that was used in the murder of a relative. After the trial they were able to get the gun back from the police.

The kicker is the victim was not shot with the gun, he was bludgeoned to death with it. The suspect did not know how to load it so he beat the guy in the head :-o

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:02 am 
Major
Major

The fit and finish of a Colt is usually better,even the wood is usually better. My guess is an Italian copy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:14 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I broke out my copy of Colt Blackpowder Reproductions and Replicas- A Collectors and Shooters Guide.
I could not find any mention of an 1870 Navy .36cal. The 1862 Navy will have a rebated cylinder, octagon barrel. The 1862 Pocket police would have a fluted cylinder. They are both 5 shooters.
This looks more like an 1860 Army Model. Should have a 8 inch barrel and be in .44.

Referring to my copy of A History of the Colt Revolver...from 1836 to 1940,
It comes close to the M1861 Navy, .36 cal., 6 shot, 71/2inch round barrel, non rebated unfluted cylinder. Again, no mention of an 1870 model. This would be well into the era of cartridge conversions of their BP pistols.
If it is an Italian or other European import it would have the information stamped on the barrel, hidden by the loading lever as the usual place. Imports may be found in just about any configuration and can be called just about anything. Truer of the earlier replicas.

I hope this helps some.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject: thank you
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:24 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:02 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Do you carry that plastic toy called a Glock like we do?

I would carry my Sig229 but I would be the only one and if I got in a shoot out I would like to be able to swap mags from another patrolman.

You need to look at some nice Italian pistols if you have handgun urges!!

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin