[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - SAVAGE 99 IN .22 HP

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SAVAGE 99 IN .22 HP
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:22 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I just went by a nearby gunshop and found a nice Savage 99 in 22HP. Great bore on it and the gun had about 60% bluing. I had one of these a few years back and kicked myself for getting ride of it. It was priced at about a third of what it was worth so I bought it. S+B ammo is $22 a box so its not very expensive to shoot.

Post subject: Re: SAVAGE 99 IN .22 HP
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:19 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Nice!!!!!

You can make the brass from 25-35 cases, or in 2 passes from 30-30 to 25-35 to 22 HP. Only draw back is only 1 bullet made for it :-?

I was wanting to have someone make a swage die in .227 to 'bump' up other 224 weight bullets to have a variety but that is a bit pricey.

Tell me.....is ita takedown?

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:40 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Bruce

It is a take down. Here is a location for HRN bullets in .227:

I have about 200 rds of S+B brass from previous shoots which is boxer primed and 1000 of these HRN bullets. You never know when these will no be available again.

The ballistics are pretty nice for this old gun. The ole 70gr. bullet is a flat shooter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:37 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I'd considered using a Enfield action I have to build a bolt action in .22 Savage Highpower, but I'm not sure if the action can handle full power loads.

Years ago I saw these old savage 99 in .22 SHP on the racks of local gunshops priced fairly cheap, because ammo was hard to find,and local game laws at the time prohibited its use for Deer, wish I'd bought every one of them I saw now of course.

Almost every rifle i own is a Savage, when finances permit I hope to score one of the lever action Savage rifles. Its a truly uniquely American rifle design.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I shot another box of the S+B ammo thru it and it was very accurate!

I also found another 160 rds of once fired Norma brass for this caliber. I still see the price tag on the bag of Norma brass which was $25 whch I picked up at the gun show some time back. That was a steal too!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Just look for stretching around the head area on brass fired from the 1899.
Not sure why but they seem to do that. When you reform 30-30 it is much thicker in the head area & you can get more reloads out of them. I will post up a scan later on the 22 HP from Ken Waters pet loads. Lots of really good info in his article. FYI the 30-30, 25-35 & the 22 HP are all based on the 38-55 case.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:20 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Bruce

I have the book on pet loads and its very enlightening!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:37 pm 
LCDR
LCDR

I'm just :crzy: eating up all this free knowledge.. :hah: :rotflma: :roll: :-o

Image Image [img]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Seller ... ser=956475

http://stores.ebay.com/workenladyo8?_rdc=1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:47 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I bought a 22HP - scored the bullets & dies... First trip to the range, I was getting bullets SIDEWAYS through the target! :-o At 50 yards!!! And the bore was decent! :-o

Long story short, I was going to scrub the bore & sent it to auction... the 22 cal brush dropped through the barrel! Slugged the bore & cast the chamber... It was really a 25-35. :?

Not sure if it was stamped wrong at the factory or what. The rifle lives in Ohio now. SW

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:34 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Probably rebored by a previous owner.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:39 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Or it was a special order takedown & never re-stamped