[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Wher the heck is everyone?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:38 am 
Corporal
Corporal

No darksiders here? Come on, it's spring time, lets make smoke!

How about some pic's of your cap and ball revolvers, they are my real passion, the center fires are just for rainy days.

My two newest revolvers. Here's a Pietta Dance Bros, some times called a Texas Colt, but that can apply to several revolvers.

I final gave up finding a 2nd gen Whitneyville Dragoon so I bought this used Uberti, wouldn't you know it, a week later I find a 2nd gen. It was way more money than I would have paid so I'm happy with this one. It shoots great and the fit is good, even for a Uberti.

I need to get these two Starr's out soon, haven't shot them since I went through them, they both sure have a good feel, but we'll see how they shoot.

Acquired two more shoulder guns during the winter.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:45 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

What calibre is the bottom one? I have one in 44 myself :D

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:46 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I have one BP revolver - a brass frame FIE 1858 replica. Bought it new in 1971 for $29. Haven't fired it in decades... I'm not entirely certain where it might be. SW

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:44 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

BEAUTIFUL , i love em all :jmp:

next weekend , 28-29-30 of may , we are holding the mn state black powder shoot here at our range , plenty of 'side matches' combined with a SASS shoot stage set up , im looking forward to it :D

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:25 am 
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:44 am 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:15 am 
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:16 am 
OUTLAW

nice guns.there was a time I shot alot of black powder.rifle and revolvers.just got older and got tired of the mess and clean up afterwards :-?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i can hear that - but they sure are purty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:43 pm 
OUTLAW

:lol yup I think I bought a ton of crisco.those were the days when caps were a $1.00 a tin.cheap shooting as I cast all my own bullets and maxi's.
I shot a nice doe with my T/C senaca in 45 cal.
pete

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:01 am 
Corporal
Corporal

I remember the messy days of using Crisco, nasty stuff. I discovered "grease cookies" A mix of bees wax, paraffin and Ballistol (any oil) You mix in a double boiler, pour out on a cookie sheet (hence the name) about an 1/8 inch think. When it hardens you punch out cookies with a .45/.38 case. You use the grease cookie between powder and ball, no mess on your fingers or revolver, plus it's great arbor lube.

If I have more than two or three revolvers to clean I just use the dish washer for the barrels and cylinders.

Here are a few more from the group.

Colt Walker

Colt Baby Dragoon

Avenging Angel I'm building

Colt 51 Navy in period carrying case.

Colt 60 Army Centaure (Belgium)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:37 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:47 am 
Corporal
Corporal

You did a major rebuild on that one. The "Trapper" model was Sam Colts pet project. From what I have read about fifty were produced making it a very rare revolver to find. I have two of the 3rd gen Trappers, I'm fond of the pocket frame .36's and the mushroom loading tool is fun to use.

The Trapper is a Baby Dragoon hot rodded to .36

This angle makes the Baby look bigger than the Trapper, they are the same frame size, the Trapper has a stepped frame for the .36 cylinder.

The cut down .36 and .44 holster frame Colts had several common names, Avenging Angel, Mormon Avenger, and Natchez Special are commonly used in period literature. I've seen a few that had the barrel remove, just a cylinder secured to the arbor. I may build one of those, has to be a hoot to shoot.

Earliest snub nose revolvers, cut down Paterson's.

Holster frame Colts.

Last edited by madcratebuilder on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:20 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

The Avenging Angel pistols were intended for producing contact wounds while grappling with an opponent in close quarters, and sometimes they'd be fired from inside a coat pocket. More as assassination pistols than for gunfighting.
Morman gunfighter Porter Rockwell is supposed to have originated the alterations.

These usually had barrels of 1 1/2 to 2 inches at most.

PS
Almost forgot.
The .36 Colt trapper model may have been a development of the .36 five shot Pocket Police and Pocket Navy pistols. These were rebated cylinder .36 revolvers built on a Wells Fargo sized frame. To give a bit more punch to the pocket sized revolvers.