Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Savage 1903/1906/1909
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:12 pm 
Offline
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:14 pm
Posts: 223
Location: Oshawa
Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a Savage 1903 and 1906 or 1909? Numrich has the same schematics for all three.

I recently picked up a 1903 in an auction (complete except for the tang screw) and thought it was mislabeled because it was the same as an old rusty action I had from a farm auction over a year ago, and which I had figured was a 1906 (I thought I was bidding on a stripped Crackshot action but apparently I was bidding on the pair of them :)).

I actually got to compare them side by side today and discovered the old rusty left side (the one with the butt stock on it) didn't quite fit onto the "1903" right side (the side with the barrel) or vice-versa ("1903" left doesn't fit the "other" right side). It looks as if the "other" is about 1/16" longer. Also the "1903" right side has a curved notch in front of the magazine. The "other" one has a square corner there, with a small screw hole as if there should be a piece under and behind the pump. The "1903" has an operating bar stop there and the "other" has no place/space/groove for one. maybe that is what is supposed to be screwed into that little step.

So I guess I really have two questions: how can I tell if my "1903" is an 03, an 06, or an 09 (not that it matters, I'd just like to know)? and what is the "other" action for/from?

Attachment:
1903 and other 1.jpg
1903 and other 1.jpg [ 34.03 KiB | Viewed 41 times ]
"1903" on top, "other" on the bottom. On the "1903" you can see the curved notch/rebate just in front of the magazine, and just a square corner in that spot on the "other". The operating bar stop isn't visible but it is just above the curved bit. There isn't one, and no slot for one, on the "other".

_________________
Them that know, know that they know. Them that don't know don't know they don't know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:59 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:26 am
Posts: 16274
Location: Minnesota , USA
i dont , but im going to ask some folks that might - ill get back if i find out anything ,


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:17 pm 
Offline
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:14 pm
Posts: 223
Location: Oshawa
A square 10 wrote:
i dont , but im going to ask some folks that might - ill get back if i find out anything ,
Image

_________________
Them that know, know that they know. Them that don't know don't know they don't know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:00 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:26 am
Posts: 16274
Location: Minnesota , USA
got this back - hope it helps ,

"..The main differences are the 1903 had a 24" octagon barrel standard with longer optional and a pistol grip stock and grooved forearm; the 1909 was sized smaller with a straight grip stock and a plain forearm and a 20" round barrel. The receivers were the same design but there were parts changes in these models over the years so not all parts interchange. Savage parts catalogs had both together with this note - "Parts for the Model 1909 are the same as the 1903, except those marked *".

There never was a Model 1906 - that is the year the patent was issued and is sometimes mistakenly referenced as the model, it's not, it's just the patent date, they were still 1903's or 1909's. The Model's 1909, 1912 (semi-auto), 1914 & 25 all used some of the design features from the 1903 and have this same patent date stamped on them along with any other applicable patents..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:57 pm 
Offline
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:14 pm
Posts: 223
Location: Oshawa
A square 10 wrote:
got this back - hope it helps ,

"..The main differences are the 1903 had a 24" octagon barrel standard with longer optional and a pistol grip stock and grooved forearm; the 1909 was sized smaller with a straight grip stock and a plain forearm and a 20" round barrel. The receivers were the same design but there were parts changes in these models over the years so not all parts interchange. Savage parts catalogs had both together with this note - "Parts for the Model 1909 are the same as the 1903, except those marked *".

There never was a Model 1906 - that is the year the patent was issued and is sometimes mistakenly referenced as the model, it's not, it's just the patent date, they were still 1903's or 1909's. The Model's 1909, 1912 (semi-auto), 1914 & 25 all used some of the design features from the 1903 and have this same patent date stamped on them along with any other applicable patents..."

Thank you. It definitely does help.
So I guess I have a 1903 with the wrong stock. And the "other" receiver may be a 1909, '12, '14, or '25. I'll have to look those up and see if I can narrow that down. No rush on that. I'll keep my eye out for a second (affordable {I'm a cheap bastid}) 1903. Also no rush on that as my twin great grandchildren are only a year and a bit now :).

Idle minds wonder what Savage stamped on the 1903 barrels for those made between 1903 and 1906 when the patent was issued. Hmmm.

_________________
Them that know, know that they know. Them that don't know don't know they don't know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:59 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:26 am
Posts: 16274
Location: Minnesota , USA
glad to be of service even if it was not what you might have hoped for , i trust the sources at that site , they have been good to me over the years


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:47 pm 
Offline
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:14 pm
Posts: 223
Location: Oshawa
A square 10 wrote:
glad to be of service even if it was not what you might have hoped for , i trust the sources at that site , they have been good to me over the years
Thank you. I suppose I was hoping the "other" receiver would be the same as the complete rifle, but it was essentially a freebie as I was bidding for the Crackshot receiver. And it does help to know which model the working rifle is. I had no preference 1903 or 1909, but now I'm glad it turned out to be a 1903. :)

_________________
Them that know, know that they know. Them that don't know don't know they don't know.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group