[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - this fits here - so here goes

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:39 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i found a 22cal conv for the M1903 ,

well , i made a deal with RCS and recieved the kit some time ago but finally this evening actually had time [without interuption] to install it , thank you sir it fit up fine ,

a prelude - my father bought a "springfeild" back in the late 50s , he wanted a springfeild and an enfeild like he had seen and used on saipan , the springfeild was probably generic for an 03A3 , the 'enfeild on the island was most likely an M1917 , but what he got was a nice 1915 BSA mkIII ,

he and i shot both and it was my first big bore shooting , i cleaned the virdegris from the surplus amo and we shot together , lots of click-bangs , so i learned early about that ,

the rifle was originally a 1918 , M1903 'springfeild , it had been refurbed with a new SA 3/29 barrel fitted , it was these two that he left hanging over the basement fireplace ,

in about 1987 the folks had a house fire , both were smoke and water damaged , barrels are now pretty rough , and the springfeild was reblued , and the stock sanded and refinished with BLO , i inherited them when he died 11/11/2000 ,

ive wanted to shoot it again but just didnt trust the bore , now i have a grandson id like to shoot it with , the conversion of my 03A3-4gery which had reciever issues turned out really nice - its a single shot , this is going to breath new life into this one with a magazine feed ,

i would have liked to use my original trigger guard [i can if i use it single shot ]and bolt but ill save those bits for the next owner , anyway here it is -

i am very pleased will be more so when i take it to the range and shoot it :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:14 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

cool!

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:32 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

So how did it shoot? That is a nice set up

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:29 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

That is one fine looking setup. Be kind of fun to do that with one of mine. I have a bunch of US .22 training rifles but that could be tucked in kinda around the edge not quit but close enough for me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:58 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

its not been shot yet - thinking spring based on the temps - its going to my godson/nephew , it will allow shooting a questionable firearm ,

im all about getting to shoot them , and i like that its a 'real' conversion , and last but not least , these days im all about 22s

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:15 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

I know you are buddy and God knows it is about all I can afford to shoot now. I would like to do that to my Springer but am scared I would screw it up and as it was a wedding present from my wife the sentimental value is way more than the collectors value. Plus I sure like having an 06 handy up here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:04 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i dont mess with one that is in opporating condition , the one above went through my folks house fire , it was smoke & water damage , dad had it refinished , unfortunately sanded most of the stock markings off , reblued-modern black , but no work to the rusty bore , think it suffered little to no heat but ...

but to be safe i i decided this conversion would make it shootable , i brushed the bore a bunch to smooth it out - its badly pitted , and installed this commercial conversion kit to make it a repeater ,

the other i have was similarly bad bore and the receiver had some serious issues with headspace ,

this one i converted with a custom made conversion to single shot - its going to number two nephew , it shoots fairly well for having a 16" bbl inside a 30 cal tube , i corrected/set headspace by fitting chamber ,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:29 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

The rifles may be damaged goods but, they are still really fantastic looking conversions.