Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:16 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

NebrHogger wrote:
I had the Donnely book & was underwhelmed - gave it away. The not to scale drawings are a turn off as are other features. Check around online for "Cartridge Conversions" by Nonte. It's very much better & I highly recommend it!

That will be a fun little rifle! SW

Others have also strongly recommended the Nonte book. My few abortive attempts to find it online I only found copies that were way too expensive. Probably cheaper to get it from the local library and photo-copy it 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:21 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Wow. One year to the day. I finally got the dies and made up 20 cases
Donnelly's load data shows 3.0 grains Unique but the case won't hold that much. I used 1.6 grains, which filled it right to the base of the neck. I couldn't get 40 GR lead bullets so I used 40 Grain Hornady jacketed polymer-tipped V-Max spitzers, and had to seat them deep...right to the ogive... to get close to the proper C.O.A.L. And I'm sure that is compressing the powder quite a bit.
Ended up with .95, or .84 if you ignore the polymer tip. Should be .83.

Anyway I'm a bit concerned about firing these, especially as I really have to work to close the bolt on the cartridge, plus I THINK the bullet is actually pressing on the lands. I read somewhere that .001" SHORT of the rifling is good, but touching or pressing on the rifling will cause higher pressure and may blow the bolt open or burst the chamber or bbl.

I had to work to close the bolt on an empty casing, although it would fall out easily enough when I opened the bolt. I was thinking the recess for the rim might be to shallow. Then I saw this:

KimFella wrote:
I also picked up the Barnes book (13th edition) but haven't looked through it yet. From Donnelly's book I may need to alter the rim diameter, but I'll wait until I've cut one down enough to try in the chamber. If the rim won't seat then I'll have to trim it. I'm pretty sure it's not so narrow the rim will slip right past the lip in the chamber. Anyway, I'll deal with that when I come to it.

So it is more likely the problem is rim diameter, not rim thickness. .22 Hornet rim is .350 and these should be .346. I guess I should chuck them up in the drill press and file off .004". You'd think Donnelly's would have mentioned this!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

fun looking rifle - i think id enjoy tinkering with something like that

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:31 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

KimFella wrote:

So it is more likely the problem is rim diameter, not rim thickness. .22 Hornet rim is .350 and these should be .346. I guess I should chuck them up in the drill press and file off .004". You'd think Donnelly's would have mentioned this!

Well that was fun! @^*$ NOT! Filing down the Dia. wasn't too bad, but the rim IS too thick.

Next time I try filing down the rim thickness I'll do it while the .22 Hornet is still full length so there is room to get the file between the rim and the drill chuck. I ended up filing off the bottom of the rim, even though I was afraid I wouldn't be able to seat the primers deep enough. Surprise! you can seat them flush!

But with only half the powder charge (I pulled all the first load and reloaded with 1.3 GR ... not quite to the base of the neck) and jacketed bullets they were key-holing at 25'

Attachment:
keyholin' rooks.jpg
keyholin' rooks.jpg [ 46.8 KiB | Viewed 682 times ]

(Hey, what can I say? it's a Rook Rifle :lol )
Those rooks have nothing to fear unless they wait out nine shots.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:55 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Keyholing sounds like a bore diameter/bullet diameter issue. SW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:17 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

NebrHogger wrote:
Keyholing sounds like a bore diameter/bullet diameter issue. SW

.224 is what is supposed to be. I just think with 1/2 the recommended load there isn't enough pressure to expand the jacketed bullet fully into the grooves. Can't find lead .224's, but just got a name of someone who knows someone who casts all sizes and may do .224's. Worst case I can slug the bore 20 times to get twenty bullets. I also have to find a powder comparable to Unique but 1/2 the volume so I can get a full load into the case. I'm sure I can find something to give me 900 fps, but I think I need to find one with a similar burn rate.

Donnelly's gives Barnes as their source for load data, but Barnes lumps Morris Short, Long, Extra Long and Lancaster all in one entry. I'm guessing the 3.0GR Unique they list is more likely for one of the longer cases.