Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:47 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Moved from old YW site:

gschwertley
When I was in California recently, my cousin gave me his old Remington Nylon 66. He had had the rifle since around 1961 or so. It was about the second firearm I shot as a youth. My dad borrowed it from my cousin in 1962 and 63 and we used to take it with us to the desert and plink with it.

At some time within the last 10 or 15 years, the rifle quit working right as "something inside was broken." At one point, my cousin turned it over to a so-called gunsmith, who had it for a time, then gave it back to him again and said, "I don't ever want to see one of these again."

These rifles are absolutely no good as a single shot. The bolt won't stay back readily to allow a single round to be placed in the chamber. The ejection port is too small to get your fingers into. It is possible, but not practical nor enjoyable.

Like most autoloading .22's these things have a lot of little parts, pins, springs, and so forth tucked inside them. The Nylon 66 is a remarkable design of ingenuity, with the molded stock having little nooks and crannies for parts to fit in, just so. It is a little complex, but designed so it could be made efficiently and at a reasonable price.

I have never had one of these apart before (I already own another one), but was game to try to fix this one. First, I got on the net and looked around for (free) instructions on how to disassemble/reassemble the rifle. Eventually, I emailed Remington for these instructions but they never followed through after their initial contact email reply. Next, I looked into getting the parts needed, as Remington does not supply them anymore. Fortunately, I have a Numrich catalog that has an exploded diagram of the rifle and I was able to determine that the cartridge feed ramp (controls the cartridge as it loads and directs it into the chamber) was broken and missing a spring underneath it. I discovered these deficiencies after I took the rifle apart without instructions.

I was able to locate the two parts needed from Penna. Gun Parts, but when they arrived, the spring was the correct part but the feed ramp was for .22 short cartridges. With a little more effort, I got the right feed ramp (it was the last one in stock).

Tonight, I put the rifle all back together again for the fourth or fifth time, and everything works as it should short of being test fired on the range. While I was in there, I also cleaned everything up and oiled it as it had never been done previously since manufacture. After a little practice, these things are not that tough to work with. I did not get into the trigger mechanism, as that was not necessary.

mikmarjon
These are neat little rifles, I have two of the nylons Myself A C10 Mohawk and A 66 Apache both are as accurate as they can get. A man with a 66 still holds the record for the most consecutive coins shot out of the air in the book of world records. In the many years they were built they ran the gambit of all of the configurations. tube fed, clip fed, bolt action lever action and the most common, the normally seen semi auto.

A square 10
sounds like you are now the go-to guy for these gary, i had no idea there were so many versions and configurations, id only seen the black/chrome and brown/blued semiautos when i was young in the early 60s, i had my dads stevens bolt and later my own mossberg lever and winchester 1890 pump , most of my friends had bolts with most being passed down thru their familys so well used, we saw very few 'new' rifles back then

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i always wanted one of these , i never got the opporunity and feel cheated in many ways - it was 'the rifle' to have in my neighborhood ,
i ended up with a nice mossberg instead and was happy but maybe one day i will have one of these

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:20 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Keep your eyes open, they are still affordable and they made tons of them. Sam's Gunshop where your .38/200 went out from got six of them in on one day, and a guy came in later and bought five of them for himself. He knew a good gun when he saw one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i found one, i bought it, its here today. hope to pick it up tomorrow if time works out, then mario's henry will show up this week too, and ill be a terrorist in the nix files.