Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:48 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Moved from old YW site:

gschwertley
Today I took to the range the Nylon 66 that I repaired recently. I ran two boxes of .22 LR through it and not a stutter. One box WW another RP. I had forgotten what a fun little rifle these are to shoot. No wonder they sold so many of them. It came into my mind a couple of times that I was holding in my hands the very same rifle that was the second gun I fired in my life back around 1962 or 63.

yockey5
It's amazing what some skill and a bit of patience will do Gary. Glad you got this one back.

A square 10
getting one of those was a goal of mine back in that time period , never got there , glad you got yours back and were able to fix it , something about shooting leans to nostagia with me as well, think its because it was always fun and the memories are fond

mikmarjon
Congrats on getting her fixed. I have a clip fed version that I'm having feed problems with thats driving me crazy.

gschwertley
John:
Have you ever taken the rifle down for cleaning? I'm not being a weisenheimer here; often .22 autos just keep on going and people don't think much about taking the actions apart once in a while for a thorough going over. When I took this Nylon 66 apart lately, there was a lot of crud in there and everything was very dry. The plastic material (whence the name, "Nylon 66" for formula 66) has a certain natural lubricity to it, but when it gets caked with powder and lead residues, this is canceled out. .22 rimfire is very dirty anyway. So, that's where I would start. I will look at the exploded diagrams of the magazine models to see if there is anything obvious to check for "busted stuff."

TNGunsmoke
If that isn't it, check the feed ramp for a small burr that needs polishing out.

mikmarjon
Not what it is guys, The bolt doesn't reach the round to pick it up like something is missing??? I'll bring it to Jackson.

gschwertley
With the Nylon 66, the bolt has to travel a certain amount to the rear before the shell will pop into position to go into battery. The bolt doesn't ride back over the top of the next shell; the shell is below that and actually has to pop or jump up into position to go into battery when the bolt goes back forward again.

The Mohawk Model 10 may work a little differently. I was hoping to get back over to a local gunshop that had one for sale to look at it to aid in this problem, but the gun was gone. With the Nylon 66, the follower on the tube magazine holds the next shell in place for this to happen. The rim of the shell catches on a little ridge in the feed ramp. It was suggested that a burr on the feed ramp might be the cause of your troubles. Actually, these ramps in the Nylon 66 at least are made out of fairly thin but very hard, brittle steel. These will break before they can get a burr in them. It might be possible to get a burr in the plastic stock just ahead of where the feed ramp fits.

mikmarjon
It's un believable how accurate the Nylons are. I can still enjoy shooting this one as a single but I would rather it would work right. Heck it might just be something as simple as a clip problem. I'm sure that with all of the folks at the shoot some one will know the answer

TNGunsmoke
I got a book on taking down 22s, we can peruse it and see if we can find a solution....

riceone
It was with the Nylon 66 that I learned, what others already knew, that different brands of ammo shoot to different places. I would get my rifle zeroed in with Winchester ammo so that I could shoot Johnson grass stems into and then would change to Remington or somthing else and I could not hit the stem till I recalibrated my sight. Finally figured it out and stayed with Winchester. I also have the bolt action 12 in the nylon configuration. Very nice little rifles. riceone

nam barney
(6/7/06 1:38 pm)
Been an admirer of the M66 for many years but could never afford one. I still surf the auctions hoping I might get lucky. Saw an interesting one last night. A South American clone. The price was right and it looked nice but--------

Nam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

kinda wishin nam had gotten one , it reminds me how much we miss someone when they are not here to STS with , would be worth it to get one - shoot it - resell it , just to say he did

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:47 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

so i found one - mohawk brown, i bought it, im thinking about wanting one as a kid, and not being able to afford it, and nam - so i said WTF im only here for a short time, i hope to pick it up tomorrow, it arrived today.