Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ramset .22
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:14 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Hey! you don't have a nail gun section! :-o So this'll have to do, at least until you set up a "Devil's Playground" forum (from the "Idle hands/minds are the Devil's playground" proverb)

Right on the box for nail gun ammo it says they are not to be used for firearms. Is this just a legal CYA or are there special issues to consider in using these blanks in guns?

A standard .22 blank for starter guns will send a .22 lead pellet for pellet guns down range just fine. The smallest Ramset .22 ammo is quite a bit longer, maybe close to a LR, so presumably much more powerful. (Well, presumably. I haven't tried to drive a nail using the starter pistol blanks.) But unless they are loaded with some different powder the pressure shouldn't be much different from a .22LR. And if used just as a blank, with no projectile, the pressure should never get even that high.

I'm thinking starter ammo pushing a .22 pellet won't be accurate out to 25 yards, although it will reach that far. So I'll need to go to a bigger blank.

Also, I have an old Stevens Crackshot in .32 Short (rimfire) that I'd like to shoot. I saw somewhere on the internet that rather than go to the effort of converting it to centerfire and using .32 Short Colt (I think that was the CF cartridge that would fit the chamber) you could drill out the base of that cartridge and insert a .27 Ramset blank to drive a shotgun pellet (or maybe it was a lead bullet for a muzzle loader. I don't remember). The .27 rim dia. is close enough to .32 that the rimfire firing pin would reach it and fire it.

I never got around to trying that. I'd like to say it was the warnings on the Ramset blanks that discouraged that idea, but really it was lethargy.

Post subject: Re: Ramset .22
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:33 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

As long as during the process the phrase, "hold my beer and watch this!!" isn't uttered you should be all right. ;) :lol

Seriously, I'd try it. I'd maybe try some kind of lube on the projectile though. I say that after shooting standard .375" round balls in 38 Special cases. Unlubed, a thorough scrubbing with Lewis Lead Remover closely followed.

BTW, if you shoot a lot of soft lead boolets, a Lewis Lead Remover is a very useful accessory. Brownells dot com sells them. (Brass rod with brass screens to scrape lead but not damage rifling.) SW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:58 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

I have a box of ramset that I thought would fit 22 mag but never got around to trying anything with them. Even have a box of 22 wrf.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:47 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

HerrMesser wrote:
I have a box of ramset that I thought would fit 22 mag but never got around to trying anything with them. Even have a box of 22 wrf.

Rad

To quote what NebrHogger wrote:
    . . . "hold my beer and watch this!!" . . .

The Ramset is a .22 LR case size (.225 base dia., .275 rim dia.), the .22 WMR ( Magnum) case is fatter (.241 base and .291 rim), as is the .22 WRF/Remington Special case (.243 and .295), so your .22 Mag chamber will be larger than the Ramset case (.018 larger). The Ramset should slide in easily. PROBABLY it would be safe to fire as a blank, although with a projectile ahead of it there is that .018" of space around the case for gases to come back. Whether they would leak out around the bolt I don't know. With a revolver the case would probably be back partway out of the chamber and the gases come out behind the cylinder. That's where your hand is!

Little Old Chickensh!t me, I'd stick with .22L or LR. :-o

What you might do, although it would be a hell of a lot of work just to try something, would be "adapt" an empty WMR case to use as a "Chamber adapter" for the .22 Ramset (assuming the case wall is no more than .009). Since you still need the Ramset rim your adapter would probably be just a brass tube with no rim.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

oddly the local hardware outlet here had a large supply of 22cal loads for these on sale the other day - im thinking on buying them up

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:08 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

A square 10 wrote:
oddly the local hardware outlet here had a large supply of 22cal loads for these on sale the other day - im thinking on buying them up

I haven't done the math but I suspect by the time you add in the cost of the pellets, or lead balls or bullets they will be no cheaper than buying "real" .22s.

I paid $12.40 for 100 of the 2nd power level, plus $16.99 for 500 pellets, so $17 divide by 5, um, uh, $3.40 for 100. Plus 12.40 comes to $15.80 for 100 or 16 cents a shot. They're not going to function in a semi-auto and it's twice the work to load each single shot. They probably won't be any kind of accurate. The pellets are 14.3 gr. If that gr. is grains then they are about 1/3 as heavy as a normal .22 bullet (usually 43 grains?). If the "gr." is grams I don't know the conversion, but either way they've got to be way lighter than the usual.

But it should be fun when I'm bored. :P

I saw a Youtube on using blanks and pellets and they seemed to think they worked better if the pellet was loaded from the muzzle. I don't remember if they were using starter pistol blanks or Ramset.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:30 am 
The Knife
The Knife

You are right, they are 22 cal. I got them from a place I worked at before in did a union bust. I got the to use as blanks.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:38 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Don't do it.

I finally got a chance to go to the range today. The road is frozen so no mudholes.

It was so cold I only took 8 shots;
    (5 to check my reticle "fix" The new crosshairs are so thick they nearly cover the 2" bullseye at 25 yards. Shoots way low, but too cold to worry about that. Especially if I decide to redo the reticle.);
    1 with a starter's .22 blank and a pellet. Don't know if the pellet even reached the target. No holes in the target.
    1 with the brown ramset (power level 2 - there doesn't seem to be a 1)and no projectile, just to make sure it didn't blow up in my face. That worked ok.
    1 with the ramset and a .22 pellet. Also no holes in the target.

It was so cold and I was using an old single shot rifle so I just checked the barrel was clear and packed up.

When I got home and went to clean the rifle the patch and rod got stuck! Took a lot of effort to finally get it clear. And a 3/4" long sliver of lead came out with it. It looks as if the Ramset is too powerful for a pellet gun pellet and blew it apart. Just as well it was too cold to keep playing as that sliver would have qualified as an 'obstruction' and even with a .22 that might have been unpleasant.

I MIGHT try it again if I can find a shotgun ball/pellet of the right caliber, but not with an almost hollow skirted pellet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:47 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

good to know , i did not realize these came readily in 22cal - my old hilti from the 80s was a 27cal , couldnt use those in a rimfire rifle/handgun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:12 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

A square 10 wrote:
good to know , i did not realize these came readily in 22cal - my old hilti from the 80s was a 27cal , couldnt use those in a rimfire rifle/handgun

My Ramset is .27 cal as well. I grabbed the wrong blanks when I bought it. Then just bought some of the right size instead of exchanging the .22s.

As I said in my initial post I saw something on the internet that you could drill out a .32 cartridge case and use a .27 Ramset blank and that the diameters are so close the firing pin of the .32 rimfire rifle was big enough to reach the rim of the .27 and fire it. So far that is still "I read it on the internet so it must be true." I haven't tried it.

Oh, by the way, Happy New Year everyone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:58 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

IIRC, airgun .22 groove should be about .219", versus the .222-224" of the rimfire rifle bbl. Splitting hen's teeth? Maybe. I do know that a 16.1 grain JSB Heavy .22 caliber pellet will free fall through the bore of my match chambered Win 52 repro. YMMV. I'm guessing you had a pellet "seat" some what sideways, and your powder charge blew the skirt off the first pellet you tried.

It's been done before, commercially. There was a Mexico out fit that made rifles in both .177 and .22 cal that used air gun pellets, and .22 blank cartridges. Mandall's carried them for a while. They did not gas seal all that well with a pellet port ahead of the blank chamber. My old Gun Digests listed them for about 7 years....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail