Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Library Rifles
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:54 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Was in the local Cabela's. There's a couple of interesting rifles in the "Library".

Pretty sure this is a 52-E, and probably one of the last stocks Al Freeland did for the factory. I'll have to hit the books on this, but I think I'm right. I doubt that's a factory bbl- it's stainless, and very deeply recessed- more likely a Hart, or a Shilen...

Horribly over-priced for what it is and wears, and horribly mis-identified as to stock. For those that can't make it out, that tag lists the stock as "bench-rest" :P

Scope looks like a late 70's Lyman 10 X....

94-22 in .22 LR. Supposed to be n.i.b., but I seriously doubt that- stock is pretty marked up for a n.i.b. gun.

This one is a bit better price-wise- still a bit on the high side though...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

Last edited by Doc Sharptail on Sat May 19, 2018 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Library Rifles
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:52 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Nope- that's just a factory prone D/E stock that someone made somewhat skilfully lightning cuts on, and NOT a Freeland. Gun is definitely a 52-E...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:27 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

That's one of the many reasons Cabelas failed... pie-in-the-sky pricing. When I went over to Sidney to pick up that AR stripped lower, the library had very little of the types they used to.

I meant to kill a little time while they processed the sale, but when I saw a few evil black rifles and AKs with ridiculous prices, I walked out.

It just ain't the place it used to be. In the 70s when they were still in the original building, it was fairly common to see the main man visiting with customers. I also bought furniture from his brother in Chappell, Nebr.

Now ass Pro has taken over & they're little better. SW

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:20 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I've done fairly well on air guns there- more due to timing than anything else...

My repro 52 sporter came out of Sydney I. Robinson, which was the fore-runner of the Winnipeg Cabela's operation. The Robinsons got bought out by them.

I received a thanks for your business card in the mail about 2 weeks after I bought my 52, and it was signed by Robinson Sr. himself.... and that kind of thing is simply no longer seen these days.

That old Sydney I. store used to be quite the hang-out for the rimfire crowd. There were actually Steven's Crack-shots being sold out of wooden barrels- just walk up and serve your self. None of this trigger lock/paperwork stuff... I think the last guns to be sold out of the wood barrels were Cz 452 trainers, which they actually had by the bushels full :bigrin:

Too bad those days are gone for good.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

the buyers did not know what they had OR they thought they found a diamond in the rough that they could turn at big proffit ? i think one needs to know to be a buyer , but then i only buy old originals in the rough best to stick with what you know or think you know and understand these have been around a long time with lots of hands on them ,

i try to buy originals that have not been mucked about with , lots of what i have are rough - ill spend my retirement cleaning and reselling if someone really wants old ones - not mucked with , but carefully kept or cleaned , no new barrels or added bits ,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:55 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

That 52-E is still sitting there, just about a year now.

Scope is a Weaver K-8 (60-B).

Shilen competition bbls are worth about 4 1/2 X a factory Bull bbl.
Hart's I ain't that edumacated on...

They got rid of the "bench-rest stock" hang tag, and put a standard "D" prone stock into the display case with it.... no change in price. If this one's a consignment, guy's in for a long wait :roll:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail