Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:12 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Moved from the old YW site:

gschwertley
Why, oh why do I keep thinking about those .22's?

I have a couple of handguns in .22 that would be some of the last guns I trade away. One is a Ruger Mark II with the big fat barrel. I've had several of these previously, but all had the skinny barrel. I wasn't until I got this last one with the bull barrel that I got full enjoyment out of this design. For me, that fat barrel makes a big difference for pointing. So far, all I have killed with it has been an opossum that invaded my machine shed, but at the range I am able to zap right into the center of the big black dot with it.

The other .22 handgun I have is an older Smith & Wesson K-22 target revolver, pre-Model 17 I think it is. I bought this at a pawn shop some time back. The former owner had owned it for years, and had pawned it 20 or 25 times, according to the pawn broker. Well, the man never came back after the 25th time (they think he died while it was in pawn) and that's how it got into my gun safe. I haven't done much game-getting with this one either, but I did have to use it to kill a woodpecker that would't leave the siding on my house alone. These older Smith & Wessons are a very well-made precision instrument.

Well, I have many different calibers in my battery of weapons, but with all the "big guns" there is plenty of room for the good old .22's.

LoLo25643
I have a MK II with the bull barrel also that would be one of the last of my guns to go. I can shoot better with it than a lot of rifles. Also have a Ruger Bearcat that actually belongs to my Son. He got it for Christmas a few years back along with a fitted holster and belt for it. He has really enjoyed this gun and learned a lot about shooting handguns with it when he was still very young.
I love a .22 pistol and a brick of ammo for pure fun.

A square 10
i can relate to this, have my fathers H&R trapper - 9 shot wheel gun, he won it at a raffle in the late 30s i think he said, nice accurate piece that im too sentimentally attached to to sell - perhaps pass it down to my nephew [godson]when the time is right, also have a hi-standard sport king that i picked up from an elderly fellow who wanted it out of the house [one of the few i could turn a retail type profit on if i chose to sell but cant bring myself to part with it] for $100 . besides they are just plain fun at the range