Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: .22 Rifles
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:44 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Time to show a few more that I haven't posted before. This time, .22 rifles.

1)Remington Nylon 66 Mohawk Brown
This was my Dad's rifle and one I'll never get rid of.

2)Winchester M490
This was one of 13 that was stolen and finally got back 3 years later from the ATF only after making a call to my congressmans office. (He was a Republican). They beat the crap out of a nice and fairly rare model.

3)Marlin M60
My favorite little .22 with a Butler Creek replacement stock.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:57 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Don, they caught a guy trying to sell them to a guy in a local small town. Actually he tried to sell my shotgun to a guy that worked in a 7-eleven store. The guy was smart enough to call his cop friend and run the S/N. Never did find the Mossberg but they did recover four others. Went to trial but they only charged him with theft by receiving. Long story made short, the stupid jury found him not guilty.

Then the Feds stepped in. He had a long criminal record and they were gonna charge him under the career criminal act.
So, the ATF kept the guns for "safe keeping" until all was said and done.
Well, every couple months I was on the phone with them trying to find out when I would get them back. Kept saying the case was still pending. Had to keep them for evidence.
I finally got fed up enough that I called up my congressmans office to see what they could do to help get them back.

Never heard back from them but, about 2 weeks later I got a call from the ATF office up in Portland telling me to come pick them up.

Never did hear what happened to the mexican scum they caught with them.

About 2-3 years later I got a call from the Keizer PD saying they had .45 pistol of mine that they found when cleaning out their evidence room. Apparently they had it for a year or more after it was taken off (you guessed it) a couple of mexicans during a traffic stop down in Roseburg.

So, I have at least six still out there somewhere.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:13 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

It's been over twenty years now so I have given up on the idea of getting more back.

The only one I really, really want back is a High Standard .22 revolver that belonged to my grandpa. I still look for it when I go to shows.

I posted it on the Stolen Firearms list today but it seems to have disappeared. :-(

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i like your rifles , ive found my 22cal trainers equal if not more interesting than my service rifles ,

that said ive suddenly come into so many 22cal commercials that i now need to take stock and decide what i like and get real selective - before i go broke ,
im buying marios henry [which ive always wanted] and im in negotiations for a remington nylon 66 like yours ,
i dont know what they are worth but ive wanted one since 1959 and i found a 59 dated mowhawk brown in excelent condition - think ill just get it to keep my rueger 10/22 international comany , what would you value them at ?

i wish i had every 22cal rifle ive ever owned back - cheap shooting and so much fun , now if i can just keep from wandering into 22cal handguns :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:47 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Awhile back I ran across information on a US Military issue Nylon 66. Not sure of its intended purpose but apparently a short run was made during the Vietnam War.
The Rifles have a dull black stock and all metal parts are dark gray parkerized.
Apparently a few guns of this type were sold commercialy after the government contract was canceled.
Also leftover parts from the contract have shown up occasionally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

interesting , ive only seen the black stock versions with a stainless like finish , id love to find one of those :grin:

im partial to the mowhawk stock[just because it was still OK to use indian type words in those days - and the blue finish was my favorite in those days , i recall it being out of my price range when id already bought a mossberg lever and i wanted a scope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:52 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

OK Don, when I get a minute I will.

GEORGE WASHINGTON