[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - 22 WMR

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 22 WMR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:22 am 
Colonel
Colonel

I had a friend drop off about 900 rounds of 22 WMR ammo. Now all I have for this ammo is a nice Ruger with the 2 cylinders. I wonder what you all think would be a good rifle to buy for this ammo? Either semi or bolt as I'm opened to either one. I might be leaning to a bolt as I'm impressed with the difference a bull barrel does with just a 22LR.

Suggestions out there!

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject: Re: 22 WMR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:02 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I have a 10-22 Magnum that I may be parting with. Nothing wrong with it, nice shooting gun, but it has been neglected & I don't see myself using it any more :-? I had a marlin 922 that just kept jamming on me so I gave it away & bought the ruger. Has less than 100 rounds through it. Got it to harvest woodchucks......stopped using it when I got my top break 17 HMR

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:24 am 
The Knife
The Knife

That NEF in 22wmr would be nice. If I only had a little money.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

you need to look seriously at a winchester 1890 - thats the rifle these were intended for IMHO , its a pump , but you will never regret that purchase , its the finest pump ever made ...........again IMHO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:07 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

A Square

I never even thought about a pump. The only draw back is what ever I get I will want to put a bull barrel on it.

Bruce

I need to look to see if they make a bull for the 10/22 or if I can use a 22lr barrel and have it machined for the WMR.

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

guess i missed that part - the WMR ammo was not a special load except that it was a "priority" round for winchester in those days that tried to make them "special"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:27 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:55 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

If I remember correctly the Savage bolt action in .22 magnum has twin locking lugs, and the action is based on the Savage Anshutz Target rifle, also twin lugged. Hard to beat for accuracy.
I don't care for their new accutrigger though.

You might find a good used earlier model if you plan to mount a custom bull barrel. The older ones have a very good adjustable trigger. My .22 LR is much like the Magnum but uses only one lug. Its extremely accurate, the older style trigger was easy to fine tune.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:03 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Thanks for all the info! I have heard about the Savage before. And I like my 10/22! This decision is bigger then I thought.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:02 am 
Corporal
Corporal

I want a 22 mag rifle as well. This is the one i am leaning towards.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... m/983S.asp

This one is nice as well. Neither have a bull barrel but they are nice.

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:22 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I just know how much better my 10/22 shot with the bull barrel with 22lr so I'm sold on the idea.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ive probably been lost in this discussion - i think this cartrige to be a 'vintage' cartrige unlike the 22 mag etc that one vmight develope a target rifle around , just my 2cents