[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Gave myself a present

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gave myself a present
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:08 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Coming back from the Show of Shows in Louisville, I was rather stressed by the IDIOT drivers on I71 in KY is needed a break and since there was a show in Sharonville I stopped there. :bigrin: My favorite pusher (gun dealer) was present and among assorted goodies on his table was a Krag carbine. As soon as I picked it up I was doomed, doomed I tell you. Sweet nothings emanated from it and before I could think about it I was telling Todd I would take it.
To my dismay, There wasn't any brass in the hall for it and no loaded ammo either. I did get a set of dies however. From a friend, I recieved confirmation that .303 Brit could be resized and used even if it will be a tad short. Those I can use for cast loads. When I get backhome, I can go to my preferred on-line stores for 30-40 brass for FMJ shooting. Now I really need to get lessons from Citizen Swihart on posting pics. :oops:

Attachments:
003.JPG
003.JPG [ 129.04 KiB | Viewed 12855 times ]
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 126.37 KiB | Viewed 12855 times ]

"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

Last edited by Enfield Shooter on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:50 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Posting pics? Easy as pie! Even a railroader can do it!

1) Upload pics from your camera or phone into your computey. Specify they go into the pictures file.

2) Directly under this box is a browse prompt. Click on that and you will see the contents of your pictures file. Click on the desired pic and hit "add the file".

3) Next comes place in line. Put your cursor where you want to add the pic in your text and left click that. Hit the place in line prompt and the pic is added. Pic comes out too big?

Easy fix! At the top of every forum is a "resize big pics" thread. Follow the prompts and away you go! Easy peasy! :bigrin:

I had a number of Krags once upon a time & even had the Krag book which was autographed by the author, Bill Brophy. I meant to collect them, but prices took off and I sold them all at a decent profit. Made a pile on the book too.

They are sweet rifles. SW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:07 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Man NebrHogger, ;) you make adding pictures sound so simple. So howscome I keep getting the wrong picture to come up? (other than the fact I just can't see those blasted thumbnail pictures my comp. gives me to use) :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:28 pm 

Well, it works on my laptop with Win7 and Microsoft photo editor. Your mileage may vary. Fr8dude may have something to add here. SW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:29 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

OK, as you can see, I tried it and got something to appear. Perhaps I'm not as large a Luddite as I previously feared I might be. :lol

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice looking krag , its been sported but its a very nice job , im thinking you may have a great shooter , try it and let us know ,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:31 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

Attachments:
trustusad.jpg
trustusad.jpg [ 124.1 KiB | Viewed 12841 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:48 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

So sad it wasn't in 6.5mm Swede….You could have been a contender….

I bought myself nachos at a MLB game as my present….Oooooo.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:46 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Citizen, I really needed that butt dial call you gave as well. Did the Reds win? Tommy T is pretty certain I have a Bannerman conversion. Should be a real good shooter though. Given the stupid prices for these I still did pretty well.

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:06 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Got to love calls from the ball park. Reds won 4-2 Friday. Hamilton hit a HR too and drove in Simon as he actually got a hit for himself.

Reds lost today 0-1. Bailey pitched eight innings too. BTW, I was not drunk one bit what so ever, just happy to be in a ball park. Thought I would just plain disturb you.

My best wishes finding brass and such. I have no idea if its out there in supply, but I sincerely hope it is. She'll do just fine with those peep sights.

Me, I still have a bench to assemble.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:55 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Citizen Swihart,

I'm shocked, shocked I tell to find you still haven't assembled that marvelous new bench.
TommyT has informed me that I can .303 British cases at need. They will be a little short but with cast bullets and loads thereof, no problem. I did go out and buy 2 boxes of Remington 30-40 ammo. Rest assured, they don't give that away. :-( However, I now have 40 cases to play with. Will return to cowtown tomorrow to morefully inspect my new toy.

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

a lot of folks out there that would be proud of that one to be sure , i think there is actually a certain something that goes with a bannerman - they are not making those anymore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:25 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

I took my Krag apart today just to look at the underside. Wow! 8-) The wood work done by Bannerman was very good. The only reason you knew it had been done was the walnut didn't have the same patina as the original stock. The re-blueing done was of the first order of quality work. No spotting, blemishes or thin spots. They truly did care enough to do a first class job. It's definitely a keeper. :jmp:

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:48 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Today is July 19th and I believe he still hasn't shot it yet. Must I grab him behind the ears and take him down to the range myself? Oh the horror.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:57 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Oh the horror yourself Citizen. :velo: I can only mock you from afar as I am currently in the Old Dominion. I can safely say that before another week goes by, I will savor the sounds and smells of 30-40 Krag. Perhaps I will even manage to hit a target at some point. I believe I will also take the Trapdoor out for a spin as well. :grin: If I get particularlly adventerous, I will load up some Trailboss rounds for the MK I. What say you to an afternoon at the range this week?

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:15 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

My long barreled Arisaka needs some loving, so yes. Sometime in the later afternoon. OT is O'plenty and hay needs to be made while it lasts. Have Zoomie Meister come on down too.

If you don't fire the Krag, it turns back into 6.5mm Swede after a few weeks. You have been warned.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:56 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i understand the delay - i too have some ive not yet shot , one day soon - something to look forward to , and all that does not explain it really , its good to be busy .... its great to get to the range with something new ....i will always have at least one thing new/old-new that needs to go to the range , if not a new buy a conversion to 22 - i have a handfull of those as well i have not yet shot ..........too many toys - too little time ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:29 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Now that I'm back in cowtown, I can give a range report. The Krag shot very well, unfortunately, I didn't. Still trying to figure out the point of aim. Need to steepen the learning curve-a lot! :-? My first 5 were not only not on paper, they made a lovely 3 inch group in the top of the target stand-baaad shooter, bad! I brought my aim point down 12 inches and at least was on paper. It's time to figure out how to use that fancy diopter rear sight that's on it. I see a lot of cast loads in my future. :kap: The factory 180 grain loads were brutal on my shoulder. Thank God I was wearing my recoil pad! :jmp: In any event, it was too much fun but I persevered and took it like a man.
Citizen, you should have been there.
Oh, as an added plus, the 4.0 grains of Trailboss in the MK I Webley was a rousing success. :bigrin:

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:39 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

learn it - shoot it - love it , you cannot find a much nicer bolt action - modern nassika possibly ,but not many compare to the krag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:24 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

You know, he beat me to one and I got to watch him shoot it now. Oh the horror!

Best Regards,

Mark