[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Talkin Garands..

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Talkin Garands..
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:17 pm 
Major
Major

Back in the mid 80's the DCM allowed one Garand per applicant and the cost was $165. These Garands were usually pristeen in condition. Mine was a H&R, that had been rebarrelled with a new 6-65 barrel and had been put into storage more or less as unfired. There was penciling on the receiver with a 1965 rebuild date. Well I did put 40 test rounds thru her when I got it; and then put her away. Though a mix master as re-assembled, it is virtually a new gun. H&R guns were only made in the early and mid '50's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:22 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

$165... sigh...

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

wow , i know that was a bit of cash for an 'old army rifle' back then but what an investment you made , and indeed its a beauty , nearly all of these rifles are mixmasters if truth be told , unless some fellow collector tried to 'make it right' , you have a great looking piece and one that is -as you say- nearly pristine :)
ive often thought i needed an example of late contract rifle - perhaps one day i will find one i can afford at the same time i have the cash , bet its 5 to 6 times what you paid , :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

agreed mike , in 65 it was a three weeks pay for me too , i think i was clearing about $60-70 back then and feeling like i was on top ofd the world ,
wish id invested all the hardearned cash i blew on girls on the milsurps - would have paid back better in the long run :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:36 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

.......(heavy sigh)..............I never get tired looking at Garand Photos... :P .........beautifu park on that one...you should give her another workout soon......it hurt my pocket when I got my two-but I'm sooooooo glad now that I did...........that isnt the only one you have-is it???....for some reason I thought you have more of them ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:59 pm 
Major
Major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:28 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:01 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Now I'm going to have to dig out my H&R and look at the parts! Its been a long time since I looked at it.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:55 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

that can be fatal - next thing you know your obssesing about correct parts , buying , tradeing , swapping back and forth , it will never end 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:35 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I know!! I started to do that with my carbines due to my Inland was correct except for the sight. Then it dawned on me that over time most had pits and pieces changed so now I like them the way they are. If we try to make them perfect then its like a concors car your afraid to use it!!

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:08 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

and it always seems what you need is worth twice what the going rate is cause its so rare but what your swappin out is worth half cause its so common ,
and when your done the investment in the rifle is twicw what anyone would pay for it ,all you can do is wait till the appreciate to that elevated value - but , you get to say its correct , and its yours :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:56 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

True very true!

They look good as they are!!

The folder is a repro but it looks good. I do have the correct stock for it as the folder is now a no no in this state. :-x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:33 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

they certainly do , mine are not totaly correct eather and i have no intention of trying to change them at this point in their long history

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:01 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

:mad: The DCM is not tax supported now. The Dam*** liberals took away the funding a few years ago. The now survive on the profits of sales. thank your Democratic legislators in the next election for their service. Vote for anybody but them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

absolutely and buy more rifles :D

Post subject: DCM M1
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:53 am 
LCDR
LCDR

My "one in your lifetime" DCM M1 was purchased in 1973 when I was between hitches. It cost a whopping $84 and change. It was (is) a May 1943 SA, and everything was pretty tight, but the (original) barrel had a frosted bore. I went back on active dutiy in 1974, and when I ended up in San Diego, the rifle got a new match barrel and got tuned by a Navy armorer who shall remain nameless. :wink:

Yes, I still have it, and it has some friends now so it won't get lonely in the safe.

Resp'y,
Bob S.