Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Garand Accoutrement
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:41 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

A friend gave this to me the other day - I'm told that its an early garand bolt stripping tool issued to GI's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:49 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

interesting , have never seen one before , wonder how they work , i have a few of the odd ball bits for these but new ones keep showing up - i think i could go broke buying this type of thing :D

post what you find out in researching this - id like to know more about it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:27 pm 

That is a valuable tool for any garand shooter. I prefer the earlier issue tool over the later one with the brush, as it allows for the the use of a patch. I pack it with me to every match, as it allows for a quick cleanout on the chamber when shooting GI ball ammo. I think I paid around $25 from Fulton Armory for mine a few years back, and it came slathered in grease. Great tool. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

any links to how that devil works ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:30 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....I have the exact same thing for a few years........stiil havent figured out how it works-but then again I havent eally tried to find out.... :roll:
................OK--------Square10........your job.... :lol :grin: :lol :grin: ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

aaaaaah - thats what they keep sayin here at work - they do pay better but id sure like to do this more - i will try ,

im thinking CPS may be a source for knowedgable folks but my account isnt working there - and i cant get them to reup it for some reason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:18 pm 

Instructions for the use of the assembly/disassemby tool feature of the combo tool can be found in "Hatcher's Book of the Garand," by MG Julian Hatcher. Specifically on pages 226 & 227. The early tool has the cleaning patch holder for cleaning out the barrel chamber, which on later combo tools was replaced w/ a chamber brush. Then of course on the early tool you have the screwdriver tool, and the bolt assembly tool. On the later, according to my book, the rear of the brush assembly can be inserted into the chamber, and the bolt eased down onto the rear of the back of the chamber brush holder. Then a turn of the brush, and the extractor is popped out of the bolt, allowing the bolt to disassemble.

I use the early tool because it has the patch holder. I use the later ratcheting brush that requires the use of a section of the cleaning rod to brush out the chamber. I also use the later version (I believe the M10) of the cleaning rod handle to disassemble the bolt. The handle is placed in the chamber, and a section of rod is used to turn the handle in the chamber to pry up on the bolt extractor as it is turned. Thus the bolt is disassembled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

that figures , its one i dont have , i think i can see it anyway - im somewhat mechanicaly inclined and smart enough not to destroy my rifle figuring it out ,

now to find one :D