[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - thinning the herd ?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: thinning the herd ?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

does it ever cross any of your minds to thin and consolidate ? i mean not because you have to but just to be focused ? ive gone thru this frequently this past two years ,

as most know [who pay attention to my posts] im inclined toward the enfields , this will always be the focal point of my interest and always has been , as an aside from the time i was 10 i was always wanting to shoot the mkIII , it was my favorite in spite of the fact that the ammo my father got was covered in green virdigis that i had to carefully clean one at a time , and that by default it was apportioned out at "one for you -two for me" by my father :( but then he paid for it :)

so that leaves my US collection at the mercy of these thoughts , i have made every effort at 'tieing the two together' and will continue to do so , but ..............

i may ....mind you , may ........divest myself of some pieces with accoutraments , as much as ive actualy said this OUT LOUD , i may not , my mind is having a real fight .....but it may become dictated by space and liability insurance one day soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:58 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Hi Mike
I like Enfields but also like my US firesrms as well. Took my No 4 to the range Thursday cheek piece works well I was able to get 1-1/12 3 shot groups at 100yds.
Thanks
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

hey gerry, thats terrific, im so glad that it worked out so well, it was worth the wait :D, i have been thankful for the 'mint' inglis mag as well, it adds to my accumulation,
ive been to the range twice in the last month and a half - i was helping friends sight in for the deer season, not my deal, but they seem to think im helpful, i think they just want someone to tell them 'its gonna work just fine' ----i do, if they are on target, you, are in a position to know, what would you do with your cherished pieces if you could only keep some of them?
would you donate them to the museum? would you hope to sell them for a profit that would relieve your feelings of loss?
would you will them to a deserving heir? .....and how do you determine that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:13 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:37 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I have thought about thinning out some of my hunting rifles. I don't hunt as often as I used to, so why do I need so many. Then I start to rationalize the reasons to keep them.
*My first hunting rifle, Marlin 336C-can't get rid of that.
*My dad's .30-06. Gotta keep that one too.
*My Rem. .308. Most accurate rifle I own- no way is it going.
*Ruger M77 .300Win Mag- Elk medicine.
*Savage M116 7mm mag. Only stainless hunting rifle I have, gotta keep.
*Savage M110 .223-no coyote is safe.
And more. You see where this is going.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:42 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

me too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:47 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

That's a real tough one if you think someone you might give them to might not appreciate or understand the history behind them. Tough choices. Maybe you can find someone that might get a fire going by imparting some of your collection to them. You might not be able to keep it in the family, but maybe you can make the family of historically minded collectors grow. By the same token maybe you could give them to a willing organization that would keep them safe for future generations, but unless its a well established organization, you run the risk of them folding and the collection being auctioned off. It does pose a quandry. I say spread the love, a few here, a few there, maybe it might spark something in someone.

Well, that's just one though.

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:51 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

I've trimmed down an out-of-control collection several times in the over 40 years that I have been a gun fancier. Once you get started on a reduction program, it gets easier after the first few pieces. A few years ago, I had something over 90 firearms; I just counted the list a few minutes ago and I'm back down to 36 pieces. That still sounds like a lot if I had to drag them all down to the sheriff's office and register them (or pay a tax on them by the each).

I let different calibers get out of control at one time. Shrinking my list of calibers has helped trim the overall number.

Even after trimming, I have some arms that I haven't fired in years.

It's true, a person can think up a justification of some sort to hang on to just about anything. In the course of cleaning my house out in the past couple of years, for the most part I have gotten over being sentimental about keeping stuff. I have let go of a good deal of the "collectible" stuff and have retained the practical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:01 am 

I haven't had that problem yet, but I am thinking of reasonable parameters to set to tell me when to stop.

I won't have a wall hanger, so rare ammo might disuade me from buying a Lebel or Berthier any time soon.

Could I throw all of them in my car and boogey in the case of a major catastrophe natural or man-made?)

Am I still in a physical condition to fire it? The traumata I have suffered about the shoulders over the last 28 years kind of limit me to those weapons with less severe recoil than my 91/30.

Do I even have the time to go to the range often enough to stay proficient with all of them?

Am I ever likely to go hunting anything that this particular rifle is suitable for? Do I need one that will stop a Cape buffalo? Could I fire a gun that will stop a Cape buffalo without doing myself some further harm?

Is there anything really interesting about this particular piece? Is it something I could spend time discussing with the curious young folk at the range?

These just seem like the sorts of questions I would ask. Maybe my circumstances dictate some of my priorities. I guess we all have to determine those for ourselves.

So what is important to you when considering whether you want a piece? From that, you can figure out which of your collection you most want to hold on to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:15 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:51 am 
Major
Major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:28 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:05 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im still contemplating sale of my 1898 krag , ive yet to quit thinking so its not listed , but i am considering it ,

ive yet to decide if its to purchase a trapdoor or just to thin the heard ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:25 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Get the trapdoor, you will never be sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:22 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Let me know if you decide o sell the Krag. :D

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:39 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i will bruce , unless someone walks in and plunks down cash when im not expecting it , :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:55 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - King Leonidas I of Sparta

Visit "Smokeless Powder", my firearms and 2nd Amendment blog: http://fingolfen.blogspot.com