[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - My US rifles

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My US rifles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:40 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Here is a shot of my US rifles not alot but still plenty!

Still need a nice Winchester P17 or P14. One of these days!!

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:59 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

beautiful collection of rifles - what is the top one M17 or P14 ? i take it its not the winchester you want - is it a remington or eddystone ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:11 pm 
Major
Major

Very nice collection! You can't go wrong buying U.S. Military surplus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:29 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

A square

Its an Eddystone P17, I bought it many years ago and as I type this I can't ever remember shooting it at all:? :?

I would like (if possible) get a Winchester and Remington P17 to round out the set and I'm looking at a P14 right now that looks great but its just shy of 600.00 and that seems to be high, but it is a Winchester??

The carbines I am also attempting to get one of each maker. Thank goodness there is time!!

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:48 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Nice group. Reminds me of how stagnant my collecting has become recently.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:10 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I like the variety of collecting hence the reason I have collections from many countries. I have been stuck in the Carcano world lately and there are a lot of variances there and I need to start looking at the early (pre WW2) French.

My dream is to have a hidden gun room and have a section of rifles with each countries flag behind the rifles. No room yet but that's not stopping me from acquiring the rifles!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:39 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

$600 may , or mat not , be too much , winchesters always command a premium [fewer made] if its a super specimin of a winchester it may be quite low , and ......

since winchesters were the only manufacturer fitted with the [F]-fine adjustment rear sights and the [T]-teloscopic sights it could be a fifth-eigth of the value or less ,

if its in original nick id say you were getting a fair deal , if it went thru weedon service it may be on the high side depending again on condition , and if it happens to have one of the WWII morris replacement stocks made at glasgow scotland and marked as a mkII , it would be worth twice that as that stock is extreemly rare ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:49 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

A Square

I will send you the link on it as the info is over my head with them. What I like about it is the stock has areas for the volley sights and I have a set of the volley sights in a drawer around here.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:06 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

that sounds great , and with the volleys removed its undoubtedly been thru weedon service , your having them is a major pluss , those are not real easy to find ,
its definetly not the WWII scotish stock - heres a link to photos and a breif discussion/description -worth a look just to see it , http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=17989

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:38 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Are the volley sites for an Enfield the same? I'm not sure if the volley ones I have are for an Enfield SMLE or what.

I do remember them being from a British rifle and I bought them solely because I knew I would need them some day, I bought them from a dealer years ago in Australia!

Thanks for the link, boy that is a nice looking stock!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

isnt it ? thats got to be darn near unissued , and id love to have one - id buy a rifle just to put in that stock , ive never seen one in person , there were about 11000 made so not unattainable but like all things rare hard to come by ,

im not sure which volleys you might have - they are diferent , on the P14 the front arm w/post is longer than the Smle and the rear arm w/peep is shorter and has a dogleg bend , i can shoot photos but not this evening - they are available [some repros out there too] but not easy to find and fairly costly , ill get some up in the next couple days ,

i hope you get a nice one - remember untill the end of production of the M17s these were blued , the parkerizing was a new finish and only showed up very late in production 1918 , its even hard to get a read on when , no P14s had this finish from the factory and its a sign of rebuild if it does , and im not sure where that would have happened eather ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:55 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Here's a winchester

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=8425529

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:32 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

That is a real nice rifle! Too bad it's a bit too shiny :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:55 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I think someone had too much time on thier hands :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

the one you emailed me - i had trouble with the photos cant get them big enough but gut feeling is that would be top end of the value - im not comfortable without seeing the details closer - i even signed up on the site and cant get logged in , this is frustrating ,

the chrome one is novel , but i dont collect those , might be fun wall hanger/shooter tho..........im sure it was honor guard or drill team of some sort , it would need papers to have believability

Last edited by A square 10 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:46 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

That site is not an easy one to work with. But thanks for the effort and help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

this is the rear volley sight arm with peep - note the dogleg at the base , this is about 2/3 the length of those on the no1 rifles

this is the front volley dial and pointer , these are about 1/3 longer than a no1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:51 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Wow big difference! Thanks for the photos. I called on the rifle but it had been sold! It would have been nice after a just a stock redo.

Is the leather sling a brit issue for the Enfields? It sure looks nice on the rifle.

Thanks again for the photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:52 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

the leather was pre-web , they mfgrd and used it for home guard thru WWII i have a couple of the late ones on trainers , and a couple vintage ones on my mkI*** and MLE, they were standard on the long lees

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:35 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I have got to get over this Carcano bug and start working on my Enfields!!