[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - 03 Day

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 03 Day
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:56 pm 
Major
Major

More or less a test of my Bellsouth website to see how it may do as a photo host.
Took a low number M1903 Rock Island, and a Remington A3 to the range Thursday. Yes I was a whimp what day and used a slip on recoil pad. Too hot for a shooting coat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:16 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

nice rifles, and i'd really love to see how you loaded that garand clip into a springfield! ;)

wish we had more time for it up here. y'all have a good day! Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:29 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....is there that much of a difference between an 03 and an A303...???.........I've never shot an 03-and my A303's dont seem to bother me recoil-wise.. :-? ...and I'm obviously not Rambo or someone with 6" of callouse on my shoulder... :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:13 pm 
Major
Major

Keith, as hard as I tried, I could not hammer that clip in, The thing is, I load so much 30:06 and have a gazillion clips, that I just jam them in anything that will hold them together. I grabbed what ever that day.
Mario, recoil between the 03 and A3 is the same. The rear sight is what makes it different. A rear sight on an 03 is a little harder on old eyes, but has infinite adjustment while the A3 doesnt. Between the two, I prefer the 03. That particular day, both rifles shot equal, The 03 seemed to have more of the shots clustered closer, but the few wild shots opened the group to equalize the size groups of the A3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

when you say 'low number' do you mean your shooting one under 285507 ? or do you mean its an early rifle of the DHT vintage ?
im not a doomsday advocate but i do tend to take the britle recievers seriously , i realise some download for the "low number" recievers from springfield and rock island but there are so mant shooters and only one set of eyes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:40 pm 
Major
Major

Yes, low number as like 35,000. I shoot two different low numbers, and just make sure I don't use hot loads. I have read all the stuff on low numbers, and to each his own. I stopped smoking, don't ride motorcycles much but I am not going to give up all pleasures. Heck, every receiver even high numbers, along with other model guns all had occasional failures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I take it the low number'd ones will kB?

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:39 am 
Major
Major

Some people are cautious or unwilling to shoot them. About 10 out of 100,000 receivers failed due to improper temperatures in the kiln. About 1918 they changed steel and heat treating methods which reduced that percentage further. The gov't blue pilled many of the existing rifles with high pressure cartridges to weed out the bad ones.I shoot my low numbers. Some do, some do occasionally, some won't chance it at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

your right of coarse , the number of problems were infantisimal compared to the quantity of rifles , but im not inclined to shoot them , of coarse its also true that both my rock island and my springfield are above the recall SN so its a moot point for me ,
i have a couple i wont shoot for other reasons , and again its personal preferance , you have a beautiful early rifle

i did fix the shooting issue with my remington M1903A3-4gery by installing the 22 insert , and it was done as a result of some of those 'issues' above , so now i shoot one more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:43 pm 
Major
Major

Talking '03's; I have some beautiful rifles, an all original 1905 made '03, all and every part is correct. A minty 1911 made 03, a MK1 that has all the correct MK1 parts except the extractor, an unfired Remington 03, and unfired Remington 03A3. I don't shoot those. As shooters, I have a 1906 made Rock Island, and a near mint A3 Greek return. Have bayonets for them all just about, and the dates on the blade matches the barrel date. I haven't enclosed photos of the blades because I grease them up with heavy grease and pack them away.