[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - M1 Carbine in Germany & Austria Post WWII

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:18 am 
Colonel
Colonel

I have not dug through this too far but interesting post war info. I always wondered where all those carbines went.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:28 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Having an interest in air rifles I found that a semi auto CO2 rifle called the Tyrol was used by the Germans as an M1 Carbine trainer.
It held thirty shots and had a mag disconnect that required resetting between each string of 15 shots.

The Rifles are so rare I could not find an image on the net.

Apparently those surviving rifles sold as surplus were modified to remove any military appearance, so Identifying the modified rifles as trainers might be a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:19 am 
Colonel
Colonel

There was one at auction on either AA or GB about 6 months ago. It went for big moneys!

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

interesting link - lots to digest there , very valuable if you have one of these ,

interesting info on the tyrol too

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:31 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Cool
The same site now has a page on the tyrol with very nice images of it. First time I've seen what it looked like.
http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_tyrol.html

It used a good copy of the carbine stock and sights. Very weird and bulky mechanism though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:51 am 
Colonel
Colonel

I remember as a kid wanting a spring operated bb gun that looked just like an m1 carbine. The only oddity was you had to push the barrel inward to cock it. But it looked just like an m1 carbine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:14 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i remember those , had almost forgfotten , a neighbor kid had one , but it was no where near as powerfull as the benjamine pump and thus it was spurned by the few that had the latter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:33 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I had the Crossman pump and it had a whole lot more kick to it then the M1. But the M1 sure looked nice!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:33 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:24 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

My little brother had one, the same flat wooden stock version.
The more full bodied plastic stock versions looked more realistic.
That M1 is at my older brother's home now.
He'd found it rusted up in the basement and I fixed it up a bit. It would still shoot but was pretty well worn out.

When new the Crosman M1 had a higher velocity and was more accurate than other available spring piston BB guns. Around 350 fps compared to less than 300.

The design came from a older Crosman rifle meant to appeal to adults as a plinker and pest killer, though it wasn't deadly enough for rats.

When I was a kid I had an all plastic M1 carbine that fired wooden bullets. It fed from a realistic detachable clip and the operating rod moved its spring chamber back and forth to load. Good for knocking over paper cups at close range.