[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - 1903 A3

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1903 A3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:27 am 
Corporal
Corporal

I found a Remington 1903 A3 yesterday at a local shop. An old guy in his eighty's brought it in. He had it for many years and was going to sporterize it. He had only got so far and lost interest. He said he had too many projects and was ready to relax some.

The stock is intact and original. It is a straight stock no pistol grip. He had a scope mounted on it. So the are two holes drilled and tapped in it. One is on the rear sight mount so when i get the rear sight it will be hidden. The other is on the round portion of the receiver. It will always be noticed.
It is also missing the rear swivel. It has two swivel studs put in the stock. Only one will be visible
which i can plug. I also received with it a 90 percent done walnut sporter stock for it. The barrel is a two groove one. So far i believe all the markings are intact on the stock and otherwise. It was rebuilt at some time. The serial number puts it in 1942, all though the barrel is dated 10/43. The rifling looks nice as well. Other then 40 dollars in parts and some extra holes she is very nice.

I have to wait forty days to pick it up. First 30 so the store can make sure it is not stolen. Then the mandatory Mexifornia ten. I paid 400 for it. That may seem high but even with it's problems it is one of the nicer ones I have seen. Around here beat up ones sell for more. When I get her I'll post pics.

Post subject: Re: 1903 A3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:45 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Please Do! That's one of the rifles I still don't have any of. I know I should have gotten in on them before the prices went sky high

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:19 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sounds nice , do post the photos ,

you didnt say but i assume the barrel is intact ? i think a nice 'flush' screw in that receiver hole will be inconspicious enough with a touch of blueing ,

depending on whose tables you used to date it you may find its actualy a 43 receiver as well , there are errors in at least one of the often used sources for dateing

my remington M1903mod is a 42 with sn 3042xxx with a 1/42 barrel , and my 43 remington M1903A3 is sn3786xxx with a 9/43 barrel , it may have received a new[later] 43 barrel in rearsenal but you should see a punch mark on the receiver IIRC if thats the case ,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:30 pm 
Major
Major

All 03A3's will exhibit a punchmark on the receiver near the serial, and in the ordanance bomb on the barrel.Those do not necessarily mean rebuild. Proof punching began about 2/42.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:31 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:38 pm 
Major
Major

Made Dec 1943.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:16 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Very nice so it may not be a rebuild. The info i found said 42. Do you have a link for this info? Also, do they have info on Garand Dates?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:53 pm 
Major
Major

It's from a page in a book, not on-line..and my scanner took a dump. My date is accurate. Additionally, I have Craig Riesch and Poyers book on the Garand and they have a break down by months for WW2. There is no monthly break down listed or that I have for post WW2 Garands.Any particular number?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:04 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im going with M14man on that date , i figured you had used a 'conveinent one that seems to date 'everything' to 42 , ill not bash anyone here , but that should have been fixed years ago ,

i was not aware 'all' 03A3s had punch marks tho ? ?? im not argueing , but i was under the impression the rockwell tests were done only on questionable receivers in rearsenals , and the other punch marks when rebarreled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:30 pm 
Major
Major

If you check any original 03A3 you will see the punch marks. I have 2 original A3's and they exhibit punchmarks on receiver and barrel.They started with punching the 03's about Feb / March of 1942. I don't think you will come across a single A3 without punch if you start looking. Look at both the guns you describe above that you own..The A3 has it right?.. and that barrel sounds original. Your 03 may or may not have it since it was right about that time that Remington started with the punches.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:12 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

No please don't get me wrong. I am not contesting the info. When i get a new milsurplus I want to read everything I can on that model of gun. I dig through the net try to glean all the info I can.

The Garand serial # is 254***. It is a SpringField. It has a H&R bolt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:18 pm 
Major
Major

I didn't think you were contesting heyzues, I just can't send you what I have since my scanner broke. Problem is I am running Windows 98 First addition and most new scanners need way better then that. So I have to look for a used one.By that serial number that Garand was made June of 1941. I think the barrel on your A3 is original.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:57 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i didnt think you were contesting eather :D

i agree with M14man , i think its original as well , nice find , :D

* oh and ill pull mine out and check them when i get a few moments free

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:22 pm 
Major
Major

Asquare10, both your barrel sound original also.
Let me know what you find out when you look at your 03 and your 03A3.I am especially interested in the 03 since that may have been early enough not to have the punch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:33 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

M14 man , i finaly got time to pull all three out and check ,

no - my remington M1903mod does not hace punchmark , its a very early 42 rifle and im sure thats why , i checked my RIA M1903 and it not only doesnt have a punch it also doesnt have the gas releif hole , my SA M1903A1 has no punches eather , even tho its a 1918 rifle rearsenaled/rebarreled in 1929 ,

yes - my SC M1903A3 has the punchmark as you stated , even tho it is original bbl

yes - my remington M1903A3-A4gery has the same punchmark as you stated even tho that also is original bbl albeit refitted with the 22cal conversion chamber/sleeve

learn something new every day , thank you

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:55 am 
Corporal
Corporal

Pics i promised

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:10 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....wow,I'm suprised how strong the cartouches are in the second pic....the ones on mine are quite worn,or just not deeply stamped....but the metal finish looks identical to both my SC and Remington...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:13 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....also,it looks like your stock has the screws rather than the pins...???got a small monitor here,and its hard to see...(I'm probably not describing that correctly :roll: )

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:44 pm 
Major
Major

All 3 of my A3 stocks have bolts rather than pins. I do have a spare A3 that has the pins.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:09 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....my SC scant stock has the bolts....my Rem has the pins