Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welded M1 receiver
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:43 am 
Corporal
Corporal

I bought a January 1944 M1 SA at a show several years ago. It has all matching period parts except the stock. The barrel is SA dated 6-43 and gages as unfired.

While disassembling and looking it over this morning, I spotted something unusual in the pattern of tool marks on the receiver that is normally hidden by the stock. Checking Fulton Armory's FAQs about spotting a welded receiver confirms earlier suspicions that my receiver was likely welded back together from parts that had been cut up by the government.

For those of you who have the J. C. Harrison book (i don't have a copy) the drawing number on the receiver is: D28291-2 and the serial number 2,558,500

The author of the article at the Fulton Armory website, Kirk Hays says such a rifle is worth the sum of its parts and should not be fired. That's good advice.

My question is if this receiver is welded, and I believe it is: Should I look for a Springfield receiver with serial numbers dating about the time the barrel was made, have it parkerized and assembled by a competent armorer, or should I remove the receiver and sell the parts?

I understand that if I have it reassembled, I still have a 'put together' rifle, but it will at least be one I can shoot and still enjoy as a WWII relic (assembled in the 21st Century).

On the other hand, raising an ethical question, if my widow sells the rifle, the next owners would not know it was assembled from parts and I doubt she would be able to point to that particular M1 and disclose its history.

I have no photos at this time.

Your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Welded M1 receiver
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:59 am 
The Knife
The Knife

A lot would depend on heat treat after it was welded. I have read of mauser actions being cut and welded together to make long and short actions. It would take a good tig welder to do it right. I don't know anything about M1 heat treat but for a mauser it is a recarborising process.

If you retain it as a non shooter it would be best to mark with some kind of machine or grinder cut.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:04 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I think the critical issue would be the quality of the work when the torched receiver was welded back together. And since the receiver was torch-cut to begin with, it would need heat treating by an experienced company specializing in such work.

A place in Calif. called "FedOrd" sold a lot of these, and their shoddy workmanship gave the whole genre of welded receivers a very black eye.

Were it mine, I'd get a good receiver, put it together and enjoy shooting it.

I don't know how you have your collection inventoried, but I use 4x6 cards and include information such as "this is a put together rifle but is a great shooter".

While it won't bring the same price as a collector grade, it will still add several hundred dollars to the estate - especially if auctioned. I'm sure you have seen 'feeding frenzies' at auctions, and even a put together would generate a lot of interest! SW

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:59 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Thanks for your replies.

Fortunately, I live pretty close to the CMP North store. Two weeks ago they had several racks filled with Garand barreled receivers.

I'm not so concerned about the rifle being a 'put together' as long as I have it. Though I didn't fully understand the concept when I bought the rifle, the seller told me he had installed the correct parts to match the receiver. Well, I guess that qualifies as a 'put together' rifle. I need to listen more carefully.

The idea of 3X5 cards is excellent.

If and when i find a receiver in the range of the new barrel that's on it, can any of you gentlemen recommend a qualified (and not overly expensive) armorer to make the exchange and fit for proper headspace?

And by the way, Merry Christmas!

Richard