Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DCM Smith Corona 03A3
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:56 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

My Dad acquired this Smith Corona 03A3 from the DCM through the NRA back in 1958:

It was back in the days before UPS and FEDEX so it was shipped by Railway Express collect. I remember going to the depot with Dad to pick it up. An unexpected bonus was it had a plastic cleaning kit (oiler) jammed in the butt compartment. We had to remove the buttplate to remove the oiler.

I well remember that the rifle was thoroughly coated inside and out with cosmoline (and I was thrilled that Dad let me clean it up! :-o )

FJA stamp of Col. Frank J. Atwood, the commander of the Rochester Ordnance District and indicates that the rifle was accepted by the Ordnance Department for service.

Next to it is crossed cannon barrels and the circled belt of the Ordnance Small Arms Command in WW II.

The symbols stamped on the bottom of the stock in front of the trigger guard are sub-inspector markings that were used at various stages of manufacture to indicate that the rifle (or parts) had passed a particular inspection. A number in a diamond usually indicates the stock is a Smith Corona.

It has a Remington trigger guard.

The "circle P" shows the rifle passed a final (P)roof firing test before acceptance.

Overall, the wood and metal is in great shape with exception of this arsenal repair that used some type of wood filler.

The barrel is Smith Corona with a 11-43 date and the reference material I have indicates that the serial number is within the range of units produced in December 1943.

PS - I forgot to mention that the rifle has a plain smooth buttplate similar to the one on my 1903 Springfield. Would this be correct for a SC? I've seen references showing that SC and Remington 03A3s with checkered buttplates (one pattern for SC, a different pattern for Rem.).

PSS - A poster on another forum informed me that this smooth buttplate is from either a 1903 Springfield or Remington. The SC and Rem 03A3s left their respective factorys with individually patterned checkered buttplates.

Last edited by AlleyOop007 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thats a great looking rifle , right vintage stock , and im in favor of the kit , i collect the slings , oilers , etc for mine as well

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:22 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...my SC has the checkered buttplate,and is an 11-42...but is an arsenal refurb at Ogden...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:55 pm 
Major
Major

I wish they still sold for $20 :lol