Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ammo question for the mosin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:30 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

So my surplus spam cans came today. I don't know why but some reason I got the idea to open up one of the little brown paper packs. There seems to be one difference with the ones I just bought off line and the individual brown paper packs I bought from the shop. The packs from the shop have some kind of a silver looking tip on them. The ones from the spam can I bought are a solid FMJ without whatever this silver tip is.

My question is what is this silver tip. and what one of these two rounds will be better?

Post subject: Re: Ammo question for the mosin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:12 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....is it Russian or Bulgarian ammo???.....someone will correct me if I'm wrong but from what I recall earlier in the 70's they were painted with a silver tip-supposedly a higher quality better ammo(?)light ball...but later on they gave up the practice cause it just wasnt worth the time and paint... :lol ....or something along similar lines

....also found this...:

This ammo was maunfactured in the early 70's through the 80's in either Bulgaria and Russia.
The Silver bar you see on the wooden case and on the can indicates Silver Tip.

The Silver Tipped 149 grain Boat Tail bullet in this ammunition is unique in that it has a steel shank in the center of the projectile beneath an exterior coating of lead that is bonded to the bullet jacket. This allows the projectile to stabilize in flight and provides the accuracy and penetration of a steel core round while not being harsh on the barrel or bore as is the case with a full hardened steel core. It is the absolute best of both worlds.

Also, the Boat Tail Bullet is more aerodynamic and allows for a flatter trajectory and greater accuracy over a long distance.

This ammo has a copper washed steel case and is berdan primed. The case neck and the primer are sealed for moisture protection. It comes packed in 20rd. military packs, 440rds. per sealed spam can. As with most surplus 54r ammo this ammunition does have some mildly corrosive components so remember to clean your weapon after firing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:30 am 
Corporal
Corporal

thanks for the info. I have no idea if from Russia or Bulgaria. the ad didn't say and I can't read the cans lol.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:49 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Have you gone to 7.62x54r.net yet? It is a great website, it might show pics of those rounds. I just shot some silver tips a few weeks ago and they were very accurate at 100 yrds.! Great info Herr Mario! Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:52 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

If you can post a pic of the can, I'll be able to quickly tell if it's Russian or Bulgarian. Most likely, it's the latter. SW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:42 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I have some Romanian silver tip and its too accurate.

Best Regards,

Mark