[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Walnut Mosin stock?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Walnut Mosin stock?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:17 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Has anyone else seen a walnut stock on a Mosin? I bought this rifle (mis match) for the stock as I have never seen a stock such as this. Its a Russian Issy M44 with a 1946 date.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:41 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

That is an odd bird - will have to do some digging...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - King Leonidas I of Sparta

Visit "Smokeless Powder", my firearms and 2nd Amendment blog: http://fingolfen.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:10 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

The rifle is here at the house. It is dry as a bone and looks great. I'll have to be on the lookout for a M44 all stamped matching with out the import markings on the receiver!! Prefer a Tula :D :D

Not much to ask for is it?

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:33 am 
Captain
Captain

I've seen this before, on an M-38 post war redo.
Yours is very nice :D
I think it's a cut down, as in recycled, American walnut stock, that probly was treated nice like by the Ruskies, but mayby not by the owner previous to you.....I bet someone who knows more than I can say 'fer Shur"

But I could still help you............

Send it to me, Ill use it for a year and give it that "Battle field pick up look" you are really wanting..... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:55 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Well I think it needs to stay here for awhile!! What I need to do is find a nice correct year M44 (WW2 era) Tula preferred with all matching stamped numbers and the import mark on the barrel so I can put it in this stock.

This rifle was a complete mismatch but I did buy it for the stock only. One thing I did notice was that the stock is a one piece stock at the toe and most of the Russian M44 I see are spliced.

I wonder what Bruce has these days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:38 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I don't think this is American walnut. Here's an M95 with the same furniture. The lower one, of course...

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:33 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

rocker , not an expert on wood but i think those are both birch - the darker being heartwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:13 pm 
Major
Major

That looks like American walnut, but I can't distinguish between the different types. My Finn Civil Guard has a walnut stock that was cut down from a Remington or Westinghouse. Does this have any Finnish markings or did the Finns every acquire any of these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:58 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

In my prior life I was a custom wood worker (15 yrs) I built many things out of walnut, oak, white oak, popular, maple, purple heart, elm, cherry, mahogany hickory (my favorite) and many others.

My guess is walnut, the grain, feel and smell are correct but looks odd on an M44. I think that it may be a cut down from another older stock? It not easy to see but the hand guard is made of the typical wood Mosins use and it does not match the stock.

oldernavy

I'll dig it out and take it apart and look for markings under and outside the stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:43 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:59 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:41 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:33 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Here are some better natural light photos.

Differences between top guard and stock

Others and the best part is as I was digging this out of the safe I remembered that I have a matching M44 in a laminate (but heavily scratched) stock. It maybe a good candidate if the stock is too damaged. I'll have to look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

yup , looks like walnut to me --- :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:56 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:49 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:42 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im with you don , i had to scroll , now i learn that all i need is a larger moniter ? :lol who knew ?

i like the detail of the photos tho and the scroll was very minimal --very nice rifles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:48 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

When I was into LAN gaming parties I was amazed at the size of some of those flat screen monitors!! It was no wonder they could see and shoot me before I even saw them. They were specks on my screen but on theres I was a clear head shot!

I died alot :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:16 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Its finished :grin: :grin:

I transfered the M44 I had that was in a messed up stock into the reoiled and finished walnut stock. I think I have the purdiest M44 in the west coast :!: :!:

Ok its just a rifle but it turned out well. I never can get a good full view, but the close up shows how nice this rifle is.

What would really be nice is for Don to donate one of those really nice DDR M44's he's got stashed to put in this stock!! Its ok Don, i like this one as is!!