[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - My Ex-Dragoon....

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Ex-Dragoon....
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Has now been Re-Dragooned :lol

1922 that was overstamped to 1923 Izhevsk

I know it's not ethical to do this, but I don't plan on selling it & would certainly inform any prospective buyer if I did

Now to find a Dragoon hand guard & bands......

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:29 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Bruce

That looks good! I just bought a 1925 ex dragoon that is one of the refurbs with the same idea. I have a 30's era shellacked stock that I’m going to strip and redo for it. Where or how did you get the front sight without the hood?

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

They sure aren't easy to come by. I think I got the last one the guy had at a show. Even the rear sight base isn't all that easy to come by. I got that from Numrich.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:30 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

You're telling me they arnt easy to find!! I have a dragoon that I had to put a hooded sight on just to have something there. It broke my heart to do that!!

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject: Nice gun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:07 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:52 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Great between you guys and the ones returning snipers to their original condition and yeah I did one till I realized the error of my ways years from now when you are dead your bogus rifle will bring top dollar! There are already a million and one collectors starting out with real 91/30 snipers they paid top dollar for and got skinned big time. I looked at one in the shop the other day that the young man paid $1200 for and it was and old IO conversion. He walked out all bent out of shape and saying he was going to stick to Hot Rods from now on because he could tell what was real there. It is bad enough importers are building them and certain retailers are building rifles in such a way with their vast supply of parts so they can charge more, do we have to add to the problem as collectors? Yeah sure I will make sure it never leaves my hands! What happens after they pry it from your cold dead hands and your wife unkowingly sells it to another starting out collector for top dollar? Ethics in my mind don't even come into the subject it is just plain common sense and fore thought of the next generation of collectors if we even have one. You guys selfishly entertain yourselves into thinking I copied that real good no one will ever know but of course me being honest I will tell them the truth. Wake up Son! You aren't going to live forever! You guys would scream louder than a banshee if a gun dealer did this and you caught it but you are just as guilty of screwing up a great hobby as they are and because there may be no monetary gain in your case I would say it is just to gratify your ego that you are good enough to do it! My rant and my trips to this forum is over and I remember why I never come here anymore. To tolerate this kind of stuff is like shooting oneself in the foot with regularity and wondering why you foot hurts! Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:53 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:57 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:36 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:47 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I saw a dragoon, or marked as, at the show last weekend, he wanted 275 for it. I didn't see any difference from a M91. It had the original sling as well, the all leather dog collar. Was it a shorter barrel? just sights and hand guards? Inquiring minds would like to know :lol

NRA life member
583rd ORD Co/59 ORD BDE
Handorf FRG 1988-1990

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:59 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

difference between an m91 and a dragoon is barrel length, stock, handguard, and barrel bands.
the difference between the 91/30 and the dragoon is mainly the rear sight, and a very slight difference in barrel length. they did use solid milled bands on them, too.

a 91/30 handguard will fit on a dragoon, and many are found that way. the original dragoon handguards wrapped around the rear sight, and the range graduations were stamped on the wood. later handguards had the ears that wrapped around the rear sight removed, and the back end of the handguard looked kinda like the back of a 28/30 handguard.

y'all have a good day, Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:12 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Guess I'll have to hurry up and finish reading my swiss mag rifle book and get started on the nagant book :-o

NRA life member
583rd ORD Co/59 ORD BDE
Handorf FRG 1988-1990

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's also not like a permanent alteration. The holes are still there for the pinned 91/30 rear sight & the sights are in a ziplock that is numbered to the rifle. Some people get bent out of shape over very unimportant things. You want to get upset? Get upset about the government bail out of a private brokerage firm.......YOU the taxpayer foot the bill for a bunch of overleveraged investors. Now that is worth getting upset about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:49 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

crunchman

Good point and at the moment Mosins are i hate to say a dime a dozen. They are the poor mans rifle to some extent. the majority of them are no longer the way they were built and such as this one it is no longer a dragoon length. The only bummer is now I have to find a nice set of sights for my 1925 91/30!!