[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - We're back.

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: We're back.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:24 pm 
International Man of Mystery

OK guys, we’re back and we had a great time.
We drove off at 5.00AM last Friday and arrived at the gun shop at about 9.30AM.
First a cup of (German) coffee and after that he brought me my rifle.

Now I know I wrote that I bought an M91 with a stepped barrel manufactured by Tikka, but I was wrong.
I mixed this one up with a Tikka build M91/30 he had.
So what DID I buy then.
It is a Finnish M24 with a stepped barrel build on 1895 Tula receiver.
Made a few snapshots.....more pictures when I got more time OK ???

The barrel is manufactured by Böhler-Stahl.

I don’t have all the info on this rifle, so I will get back with you this when I have the details.
Any info you have is most welcome.

The rifle has no #number and no date.
On top of the barrel there is the marking of the “Suojeluskunta”, the Finnish civil guard.

I found lots of different stamps and markings on the rifle.
Time to open a few books and look up the details.
I like to do that.

I took the rifle apart and found out that it was filled with old grease and cosmoline.
The wood has seen better days too.

Got a lot of cleaning to do, but I think I bought myself a beautiful rifle with an even more beautiful history.

Will be back with more info ASAP.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Last edited by Dutch Mosin on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:21 pm 

Thanks Pete.
I'm really happy with this one. :grin: :grin:
Got some work to do to get her to look a bit better.
I don't mind that all though.
I think that is one of the great things about this hobby.
I just want to clean her up.
I don't want her to look like new.
She's been through a lot and I want her to show it. :D

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:21 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Very nice Martin!

Just spray a little Lysol in the stock chanel to kill off the mold :lol

Looks to be in MUCH better shape than mine

But I kind of like the "kill" marks in the stock on mine......that and the low serial No.

You did REAL GOOD Martin

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:37 pm 

Thanks for the tip Bruce. :? :D

Now this is what I call "live- stock" :lol :lol :lol

I couldn't leave the rifle there for a couple of "bugs" in the stock.
I'll clean her up and show the result in here.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:58 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Nice find!!!! You must sell it to me immediately... :D :P

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - King Leonidas I of Sparta

Visit "Smokeless Powder", my firearms and 2nd Amendment blog: http://fingolfen.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:33 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Martin now that I think about this are there any dragoon front and rear sights available over your way in great shape? Over here we have the updated 91/30 sights with the hood on the front.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:48 pm 

Post subject: very nice Martin
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:07 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Those sure are nice rifles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:43 am 

OK, I started cleaning the M24 this afternoon.
First I took the rifle apart and started with all the metal parts.

Lots of old grease, cosmoline, but most of all just……dirt.

Upper barrel band before cleaning......

.......and after.

By taking apart this rifle I noticed that it was put together from parts from various arsenals.
Again some pictures.

Magazine floor plate by Sestroretsk

A pre 1928 Izhevsk bolt body

Trigger by Tula

Sestroretsk extractor

A New England Westinghouse cocking piece.

A post 1928 Izhevsk magazine housing.

I’ll start cleaning the stock tomorrow evening.
First I have to get rid of the “bugs” in the stock.

After that it’s just “pulling” all the grease, cosmoline and dirt out of the stock.

I’ll keep you all posted.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:22 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:09 pm 

Thanks Michael.
I'm very happy with this one.
First I will use a hairdryer to get rid of the old oil, grease and cosmoline.
That will take some time, but the result will be just great.
And yes....linseed oil should bring the stock back to life after that.
Will keep you all posted.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Post subject: Pine tar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:06 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

One of m/24 stocks was finished with pine tar. A very smokey smell.