[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Finn Mosin question

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finn Mosin question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:12 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I just don't know much about the Finns yet and I see this auction for one. It's matching with a nice looking early stock. Is this a good grab or should I let the auction run it's course?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=97354806

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:24 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Tough call - I'd think that one is at least worth the asking price... you can try to go cheap, but it's a risk...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - King Leonidas I of Sparta

Visit "Smokeless Powder", my firearms and 2nd Amendment blog: http://fingolfen.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:38 pm 
Major
Major

Is that a Finn or a captured 91/30?? Who made the barrel? Oh Never mind. I went to the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:12 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I would say it's a Finned capture? Again I know nothing about these but would like to venture towards them.

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:42 pm 
Major
Major

While I like the hex receivers on the 91s, I like the tangent curve rear sight on the 91/30s. For some reason the 91's original rear sight always looked to me like someone made it with a hacksaw. While not the purpose of collecting, functionally I prefer rifles with barrels from 24-28 inches. This as I have said is academic if you are a colllector, but I don't like the muzzle flash and kick of shorter barrels. There are some that just attract however and barrel length does not matter i.e. M95---------M95----------M95 arrrrrrrguuuug -----Homer Simpson.

I have gotten off track. The interesting thing about the 91/30s is the degree of finish on the war time production. Some do not have the left side bevel. Some do not have the rear contoured. Some do not have the internal reinforcing ring/barrel stop and some lack all three or even more.

I have a Finn captured M91/30 with a counterbore and it drives tacks. :) :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:56 pm 
Captain
Captain

Nice capture!
You do know that since its a Mosin, that once you get started, youll sell the rest of your guns to get more of theses???!!!

DO IT....... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:40 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Don

You know the stock damage is too much on the 27. Of the 4 he has this one has the nicest stock.

Hailstone

I have lots of Mosins and I do still have a Finn on layaway but it's going to be for looks and it's history. It's a New England Westinghouse rifle dated 1915 but the Finns got their hands on it. I really liked the stock and I needed a Westinghouse.

Well I bought the rifle! We will see how see is when it gets here! Thanks for all your opinions on it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

wow , what a beautiful stock :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:09 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Don

I know but this killed two birds with one stone!! And it's pretty at the same time :D :D

I do like things both ways. I feel there are some that are on the boarder that need a little stock redo! Did you get your care package also?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:32 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Well the other 3 are gone.

Battle veterans will be going to Ohio soon :lol

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:40 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Wow

I'm glad I also did the buy it now!! The M27 I think was 300 something, is that normal! And it had a damaged stock! Did any one else here get any of them?

Glad you got it Don. It was just collecting dust here next to the garage computer and I only like the old military stuff.