[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Mosin Ammo question

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mosin Ammo question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:01 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

really a 77 ?

these are interesting for sure - i gotta avoid collecting anything more - particularly cartriges , it would be way to addicting :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:25 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:30 pm 
Major
Major

I have sent Asquare a link to a downloadable pdf file that is a pretty good cartridge identification guide. Now that my secret is out and I will no longer be useful. I have looked for my hard copy for 5-7years to no avail, but in conversing with Asquare I was able to trace the origin and original source. I will no longer be useful now that my secret is out. :-( :-( 8-) 8-) 8-)

http://www.downloadmunkey.net/tag/books. Look for small-caliber ammunition guide volume 1. click on defense intelligence agency and it will take you to a download site. This file is 10 meg and if you have dial up it will take about 45 minutes to copy the pdf file.

Last edited by oldernavy on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:03 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i still need ya - never know what i may find at the range this weekend ;) ,

mark - i knew i had it somewhere in my files - took an hour to locate it but :lol its on its way :lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:21 am 
Major
Major

Asquare.

After looking at the head stamp and standing on my head it looks like the 77 may be a 17 which would be correct for factory 17 that is known to exist.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:17 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

cool - im still trying to get time to download what you sent - i keep getting interupted by work :lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:00 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

And here I thought I was unfindable! Now that my cover is blown time to change name and move. :twisted:

oldernavy

Thanks for the links. Those pages are large and helpful. Years ago I bought the 1989 edition of the this info in a book form. It was put out bu the Rhino Publishing Co. I have used it in the past and actually forgot about it till you brought this up. So oldernavy you are still useful.

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:01 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Ok

According to my book which is the first pdf it says that the ammo head stamp is Soviet Union, Factory code 17, and 1945. The 5 it does not say what that is. In the book they show a 4 so ?

In the book it is on page 180 so the pdf should be the same. It is in the section for Cartridge Headstamps Containing Factory Code Numbers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:29 pm 
Major
Major

Rhino that's the name. I also have one, but it is packed away somewhere. I wore the burgundy covers off so it is good to have a pdf file. I always wondered where they got that information and now we know. I am going to make enough pdf file copies to that I don't loose it again. Hard to lose it on a computer, but I make plenty of backups and store elsewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:41 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I bought mine years ago for a paper I wrote on cartridge id in an investigation and then put the book away until now. My burgundy cover looks new still! I guess I had better wear it out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:02 pm 
Major
Major

I made additions in my hard copy when I found cartridges that were not listed. This is the part I miss. My personal notes. I hand drew headstamp codes next to the nearest match. Hey now that you have the pdf files you can save your hard copy as a valuable keepsake and sell it on ebay for a mint. :lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:34 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Now there's an idea! :-o :-o

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:05 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Here are a couple links for ammo types and makers.

http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm

http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

mark - no one is unreachable these days , particularly whene a freind owes a debt , hope it equates , if not ive still got your addy here in my files ;)

swede - thats data overload for me - im not , REPEAT NOT , starting to collect ammo , but thanks for the help all of you it was a fun experience :D

Last edited by A square 10 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:10 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Well I got the box today and a big thanks!! Yes you are correct no one can hide these days.

Thanks for the Russki ammo!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

you are welcome - and let me know if i still owe ya buddy :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:59 am 
Captain
Captain

Yep, you cant hide....and "Somebody" does indeed care...my mom used to say "Miss a bank payment or two, you'll see who cares!" ~LOL!~