[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Mosin Ammo question

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mosin Ammo question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:53 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Yes I know this should be in the ammo section but if I put it here most of you Mosin folks will see it. One of the guys I used to work with dropped off a boat load of 7.62x54r and 8mm ammo.

My question is what should I be aware of if any with the ammo. There is Czech silver tip 1990's, Bulgarian light (think that's what it's called) and Albanian ball still in the paper wrap (Martin needs one packet). There is about 1500 rounds of the 7.62x54r.

What are your experiences shooting this ammo in the 38's and 91/30's? Which tended to be the better ammo? I will also post about the 8mm in the Mauser section.

Thanks

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject: Re: Mosin Ammo question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:26 pm 
Major
Major

Mark,
The Czech silvertip should have a Bxn headstamp. I am pretty certain this is made by Sellier and Bellot. It is gooooood. Bulgarian and Albanian I don't know about. I have run across some Bulgarian ?? that was loaded with ball powder, but it was 7.62x39. Almost all the rest is stick powder in recent years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:50 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Oldernavy

Yes the silver tip is marked bxn and is lacquer cased. I will save it for the sniper rifle!

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:23 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I have heard really good things about the Albanian stuff. I find the Czech silver tip 'OK' not really tack-driving stuff

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:47 pm 
Major
Major

It has been my experience that some individual rifes shoot well with almost anything while others of the same model will be picky. Some entire types won't shoot well except for a select type (s) of ammo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:36 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:58 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Next time I go out to shoot my wimpy 22 I'll have my buddy shoot it and see what happens!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:19 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I have been shooting these rifles for some time now and certain rifles like certain types of ammo.
The Lapua ammo shoots well in all of them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:11 pm 
Captain
Captain

I can help with that;

Gimme a price, and Send it "collect" on the, freight :bigrin:

I'll tell ya all about it..... :hah:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:26 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Do you want one or two rounds of each brand!! :rotflma: :rotflma:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:45 pm 
Major
Major

Lapua means "bend over" in Finnish :lol :lol. Norma means the same thing in Swedish.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:07 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

first time ive actually had a contribution to make to one of these threads .......... :D

this past weekend i had a shooter 'give' me four packages - paper wrapped - tied with string , they are copper washed cases , bullets resemble the nice swiss ones ,
headstamps are tiny but the loop says its three markings at third points on the bevell of the rim , what looks like .....
LL , E , 45

any ideas what i got ?

i was handed a few handfulls of loose ones as well , but the kid with the mosin and no ammo had such a sad look on his face , so i gave him the loose ones , maybe a hundred rounds

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:56 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

wow - lots of great info - but not what im seeing here - i pulled another and it s definetly 45 - 5[or]S[or]symbol - LL[or]symbol , something i cant read with a loop - its visible & a translator may be required

its nice clean ammo and im sure its not something ill find localy at thye store , wish i could have understod what the russian fellow was saying when he gave it to me ,

all i got was it wasnt on targety to his satisfaction and he was done with the mosin for the day , yesterday he came back with a 308 DPMS and a massive scope - holding well at 200 , i rthink he will get his deer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ill let ya see it in person when i come down ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:11 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I wanna go!

Where are we going?

I have to go to the bathroom :|

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:24 pm 
Major
Major

A square,

It would really help if you could get an end shot of the head stamp and a shot of the wrapper and string. The E could be a cyrillic E and would mean it was manufactured in 1954. Is the primer ringed with a colored sealer. are the bullets plain or colored? I have a pretty comprehensive headstamp code book, but it is still packed away somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

hey - OK , i can do that .............

brown paper wrapper , string is common [hemp?] twine ,
they are not in very good condition but the ammo is ,

this was not as easy as id thought - the stamps are on the bevel and really hard to focus on , hope this helps , but i will agree with your accessment of the crylic E , its not staight lines its got curves/angles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:53 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I need a closer look. You had better send all the ammo to me! Good job on the photos.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:28 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

some on the way :D told ya id figure it out ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:29 am 
Major
Major

Great shots. one picture worth ------ you know. Six pictures x 1000.
I have seen this before. I just have to remember where. The bullet jacket looks more like brass than gilding metal. I think the LL may be 77. The cyrillic E (?) I am having problems with.