[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - To Bubba or not to bubba....that is the question...

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To Bubba or not to bubba....that is the question...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:54 pm 
Captain
Captain

Im digging through various Mosins now that Im in Noorvik ....Got a out sweet 41Tikka 91, an M-44 and a 41 Vkt M-39 sitting here, but Im looking at "Projects"
Pulled out three m-39's with out stocks.
A 90% 42 Sako, m-m bolt but its "Finn" ,a 41 Vkt in 100%and a 41 Sako with no rust left, but little finnish, and is a bit heavy with rust pits and shadows. Has a dark tube with alot of even shading that cleaned up to dull after I shot it 100 times... Spot on Rifle!!!! I had two stocks I bought since these have last seen light, both are spliced for the time. I swapped out the Sakos, and all three were dead on with Czeck LPS :bigrin:
Bought them with cushed/split stocks long ago, and stripped the parts off stocks and put away the barelled actions for......today?
I figured the higher serialed Sako deserved the "S"stock, and the Vkt got the other got an "L",
Anyhoo, the 41 Sako needs a stock. It came from a busted straight stock, I wish I could replace, but I do have a "Bubbed" M-44 stock cut at the rear ,,,Im thinking to cut the forearm after the rear band, relive the rear sight areas and bed 'er on in....and hunt with it.

Would that be a Re-Bubba-bubba job?

When I find a stock thats correct, I'll swich, and if I dont get along with it, it can back in its box.

Anyone got word on a straight stock?

Last edited by ehailstone on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: To Bubba or not to bubba....that is the question...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:19 pm 
Captain
Captain

Heres a pict I stole on a Cousin's camera;
Top is the M-39 action and the shortend M-44 stock. I could make a buttplate ti fit , I imagine.
The Sako and the Vkt,in thier new stocks and an M-91 '41 Tikka, without its badly bent cleaning rod, or hangers....a bit of a project there.
The M-44 is nice, 'cept I need a bayonett for it and an extractor, which I will fix as soon as I find them.I do have extractors somewhere...
Oh, ya, Oldernavy, I use the ejector/cartrige plunger you sent,on the Sako, Thank you very much!

The Hi-power is a new Hungarian, unshot, yet. :bigrin:
The assortment of targets in the picture are all former cameras of mine....like 9 of them :lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:28 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Could you make a 'temporary' stock from a set of 91/30 hex wood? It would take some inletting but.......

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:40 pm 
Captain
Captain

I think I could, Et2ss, as I have a 28/30 in a 27 stock, and Ive seen a few 28's or 27's inletted into 91/30 stocks, not that common, but they did do with what they had on hand I belive. Smart Finns.
I think the barrel on a 27 is fat, but the 39 couldnt be beefier than that.

I donno, I would give it a try, but it would it still be "Bubba" or a cool repo? Whats the diff??? :lol :lol

Gunsnammo.com does have postwar 39 stocks, but not the straight wrist type.....Hmmmmm, 91/30/39........ ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

to me it would 'serviceable' not bubba :bigrin:

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:02 am 
Captain
Captain

It almost servicable... :bigrin:
I used the Laminated M44 cut stock. It is stripped, except the reinforcment lug through the wrist. Should be a tough stock.

I cleaned up where it was cut in front of the rear sight, and pinned in a fine pice of wood to lengthen it about 5 inches.

I releived it and totally floated the barrel. Shoots anything I want to hit to 250 yards, I paced it off on the river tonight.

I'm gonna use the butt plate and recoil lug from the busted stock I got from Iquitos.

Maby look in my junk for a M-39 rear sling swivle to mount along the bottom front where the wood joins, or mill out a slot for the side mount sling bar and put swivle up along side the front for a better carry...I donno.

anyhoo, Im gonna paint the stock flat black and water proof it.
The metal and finnish will remain "as is" untill I get another wartime M-39 stock, and then my spare stock can be a spare part untill needed again.

Ill post pix someday. :-?

Oh ya, had a talk with my friend Neal about his 91/30 stocked 27s , and he told me he had bought them from Centurey that way as repaird by them, not the Finns. Said in the 80's he used to drive to New York from Vermont with a fist full of 20$ and look at it all before buying.He has great storys about sorting piles of rifles there, and dumpster diving for FAL mags....guess you cant do that no more. :roll:
Guess they were the ones using what they had...~LOL!~