[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Russian Brass Bottle ID?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Russian Brass Bottle ID?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:41 pm 
PFC
PFC

Would somone please take a shot at identifying the brass bottle below?
A friend of mine picked it and we have been scouring the internet for a week with no luck.
The pictures are a little fuzzy, but they show both sides of the bottle.
Note the Russian text.
The bottle appears to be brazed brass. The caps are solid brass.
The seals are cork and appear to be original.
It is marginally smaller than the much more familiar tin double bottles.
There is also a canvas bag with a string tie.

I am also going to post this on a few other sites toi see what I come up with.

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan
Bottle1 640.jpg
Bottle1 640.jpg [ 56.3 KiB | Viewed 7029 times ]

Bottle2 640.jpg
Bottle2 640.jpg [ 46.98 KiB | Viewed 7032 times ]

Post subject: Re: Russian Brass Bottle ID?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i think martin posted one - believe it to be mosin oil bottle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:23 pm 
Captain
Captain

I agree with A-Square. Russian Oil/solvent bottle with a definit Russian Cleaning pouch. The pouch also carryed a srewdriver/firing pin gauge, a claening jag and brush that screw on the rod. sometimes theres also a muzzle cover with a hole for guiding the rod, and keeping it off the muzzle crown.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:42 pm 
International Man of Mystery

This seems to be a Russian oil bottle at first sight and yes, you see these in Mosin Nagant cleaning kits very often.
Even the pouch looks Russian.
Don't let the Cyrillic lettering mislead you though.
This oil bottle belongs to a Yugoslavian M48 rifle.
You also see them with captured Yugo K98 Mausers.
The Cyrillic lettering on each side of the bottle translate to "oil" and "solvent".

Example from Auction Arms:

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:45 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

there you go - i knew martin was up on these , sorry its not exactly as i remembered , but ive never sugested i knew much about mosins :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:54 pm 
Captain
Captain

Well, there you go. :bigrin: I am fair to middlin' on all thse accessories, and Im always learning too.

The oil bottles are a world of their own, and its good to be on a board with someone who knows.

Martin, did any of theose items clean up good enough to be worth while? I think I sent "Mosin" stuff , but maby some were actaully from other countrys?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:10 pm 

Yes sir, they sure did.
I'll post some pictures this weekend so you can see yourself.
Especially the oil bottles turned out great.
Just had to remove looooooooots of grease. :D
The bayonet fits my M91/30 just fine.
They belong to each other. :D

Can't thank you enough for these.
Can't find these items in Holland so Germany is the place to be for me to get these.
I drive over once or twice a year to find some of that "stuff".
Most of the time I get lucky....but not always.

Thanks Chip.
I really appreciate it.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:17 pm 
PFC
PFC

Thank you all for chiming in.
My friend will be disappointed, since he was hoping it was Russian to go along with his Mosin Nagants. He doesn't have any Yugo Mausers (but I do!)

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:51 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:08 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I didn't think it was Russian but was waiting for the big hitters to chime in. The Russian word for oil is 'masla' and it does not appear on the brass bottle.

I don't know what it's called in what used to be Yugoslavia. SW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:25 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...well.in Slovenian,it was "Olje"....pronounced 'short o' l 'ye' as in yesterday.....olje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

cool - im learning my new things for today :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:23 am 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:22 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very nice martin , im with youn on these little items complete my collection as well , you have done very well

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:44 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....wow... :-o ....I've never seen the SA or SKY ones here... :-o

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:21 pm 
Captain
Captain

Most excellent. I see the bayonett looks way better than when I had it ~LOL!~ but life 50 feet from the Ocean is hard on the things we own.

I was thinking of turning a little handle to fit the little can, and make a little "M-24 Potato Masher"grenade outta one for kicks..LOL!

Im glad those claening kits have a place to work now, I have a few more Finn bags, and I carry one still. Real practical kits.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:40 pm 

@ Mario.
A fellow collector bought these for me in Sweden.
They are offered on E-gun (German auction site) every now and then.

@ehailstone
I don't mind if it's visible that items were used or "attacked" by nature.
It gives the item just that little extra.
Thanks again Chip.
I really appreciate it.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin