[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - M44 u-fixem

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M44 u-fixem
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:44 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I recently received the u-fixem m44 I ordered from Century. It is in great condition except for the stock. Does anyone know what wood the Russians used?

Dave

Post subject: Re: M44 u-fixem
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:03 pm 
International Man of Mystery

Dave,

Here's what I found on the internet.
I just copied and pasted.

<quote>The type of wood and the finish varied a great deal depending upon what was handy at the time. On all M91 variants, the Russians mainly used Birch covered in shellac. During the Soviet's great rehabilitation/rearsenaling of the 1950's they also started using a wood-laminated stock (assumed to be in Birch as well), stained red, and covered in shellac. Laminated-wood stocks are not original wartime equipment (they came after the war). The early M91's manufactured at Chatellerault in France used European Walnut (some say French Walnut) and presumably finished with shellac. The two American manufacturers used American Walnut covered with (presumably) shellac. The Finns mostly used Arctic Birch (which is probably the same as the Russians/Soviets used but some sources make a distinction) but seldom used shellac. Instead, they seem to have primarily used a mixture of linseed oil and beeswax (but probably used other finishes as they found necessary). Little is know about Soviet-allied M91's except that the Poles, Hungarians, and Romanians mainly used Beech while the Chinese mostly used Catalpa (the finishing compound is unknown on each of these).<Unquote>

Hope this helps.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:04 pm 
Captain
Captain

If i had a way, Id order a few.

In the 90's I picked up Centurey U-fixems 91's, 24's 27' 28's etc. in bundles of 5. Often nothing more than a copuple screws, sling holders, cleaning rod were missing, and sometimes not. Got me interested in Mosins. It was the Chineses ammo back then that didnt do so well...LOL!

That toe looks like it needs a splice.
I recently refurbed a M44 front end with a schnebbeless extention to make use of an M39 action laying around. Painted it black, and its sweet. I bet the red stain and reschalck should make yours back up to par.

Great find and good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:45 pm 
Captain
Captain

I was just laughing at myself , rereading the mosin Nagant section...LOL!

Finding those Century Mosins in bundles was among the top 9 great things that came into my life, only after the Wife and 7 kids, have I ever been so In Love.... :bigrin:

God Bless Sergei Mosin!

Long Live the Mosin Nagant!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:55 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I have the repair completed now. Here is a progression:

Smoothed and ready to glue
Glued

Shaped

Finished

I am not really pleased with the color match, but the rifle is serviceable now.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:28 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I like it!! Great job!! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:33 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....excellent job...!!!!! :-o :-o :-o :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin:
.....consider it like the geat work that Japanese did on their T-99 stocks.... ;)
.....that is a damn good job... :-o :-o :-o :grin: :Ola:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:59 pm 

Never mind the color match Dave.
That M44 looks great again.
Congrats on a fantastic job.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:54 pm