[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - "New" Mosin Nagants

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "New" Mosin Nagants
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:35 pm 
International Man of Mystery

Been to Germany last weekend with Rene(Dutch Sako)
We had a great time over there.
Weather wasn't that good, but I did bring back two Mosin Nagants.

Just a few quick snap shots.
I still have to clean both of them.
More pictures when I'm ready cleaning.
This could take a while though.
Work is consuming all my time these days.

I brought back 2 Mosin Nagants.
First one is a Finned M91 manufactured by New England Westinghouse.
There's quite some history attached to this one.
Stock is 1905 Tula and has the German "Deutsches Reich" stamp on the right side meaning it was captured by the Germans in WW 1.
After that it was captured or bought by the Finns.
You know them Finns.
They used all spare parts they could find to keep the rifle going.
There are pre and post 1928 Izhevsk stamps, Tula stamps, Sestroretsk stamps and of course the NEW stamp.
I do have to look up the meaning of the "P" stamp in the 2nd picture.
Wish this one could talk.

Some pictures:

Second Mosin Nagant I bought is a Finnish M91/30 manufactured by Tikka in 1944.
I couldn't leave this one behind.
It just looked to good and I didn't have one in my collection.
It doesn't need as much cleaning as the NEW M91, but I will take it apart and document everything I can find.
I do this with all my rifles.

Some pictures:

More pictures when I'm ready.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Post subject: Re: "New" Mosin Nagants
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Nice Pick Ups Martin!!! :-o

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:11 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

If only those rifles could talk :!: 8-) Great Finds :-o

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:44 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....oh WOW... :-o ...I love that M91.....is there a mark on the reciever tang...???what is it???

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:46 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I like your NEW! Have you both the straight and curved Westinghouse marks?

I also laughed when I saw the cosmolene... I've been seeing a lot of that lately in Italian rifles. I use inexpensive rubbing alcohol and rags to remove it.

The "7.62 Russ" mark seemed odd to me. I would have expected that here but not in Europe. SW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:18 pm 

Thanks for your replies.
I'm very happy with both of these rifles.

Mario,

There is no mark on the receiver tang.
I will start cleaning in a couple of days.
After that I will take pictures of all the stamps on both rifles and post in here.

SW,

The "7,62 Russ" means it was checked in Germany at the so called "Beschussamt"
If it doesn't have that stamp it is not allowed to shoot it.
What can I say......German gun law.
I can understand that you laughed a bit when you saw the cosmoline on the rifle.
Just wait and see what is underneath. :D
BTW...I'm still looking for the curved Westinghouse marked Mosin Nagant.

I will keep you all posted.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:21 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

well martin, if you want to get all the new england westinghouse logo's, I have some good news for you. there are supposed to be 5!
2mm tall straight logo
3mm tall straight logo
low arch logo
high arch logo
rumored (none reported) arched logo written in cyrillic.

If you need more excuses to drag more mosins in the door, there ya go! :P

nice rifles, congrats on acquiring them. Keith

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:37 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very nice , great photos too

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:20 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:51 pm 

Been cleaning the NEW M91 today.
Cosmoline all over the place.
I just degreased the metal.
I'll start on the wood next weekend.
I have to be careful when working on the wood.
I don't want to loose the stamps.

Made some pictures.
Before

After

You can find the smallest stamps when you clean these rifles.
The E with an arrow is an New England Westinghouse stamp.
Still have to find out what the capital G means.

I cleaned the metal with mineral spirits.
When all parts are dry I will oil them and put the rifle back together.

More next week.

Met vriendelijke groet

Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:56 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...I drool.... :-o :oops:

...and if you ever happen across a M91 front band,grab it and give me a holler!!...cant seem to find any here :roll: