[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Back from Germany with........

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Back from Germany with........
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:16 pm 
International Man of Mystery

.....this.
It's a Mosin Nagant St. Petersburg cavalry carbine.
Just some pictures I made very quickly.
Better pictures in a couple of days.

Here's some info I found on this carbine.
This carbine has some unique features. For use on horseback it got a sling swivel on the left side of the buttstock. The front band has a swivel on the left side too. Both bands are totally different to the normal bands used on the rifles Mosin-Nagant.
The bands were used to hold and fix a bayonet attached backwards to the muzzle. The same purpose has the permanently attached short metal bayonet scabbard on the right side of the rifle under the rear sight. This rear sight is pretty similar to the one used on the later built carbine Mosin-Nagant m/07. The short bolt handle is slightly bent to make carrying the carbine on horseback easier. The muzzle is stepped to make it possible to attach a bayonet. The rifle is matching on barrel, bolt and magazine.

I'm extremely happy that I found this carbine.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Post subject: Re: Back from Germany with........
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:56 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Very unusual! I don't believe there can be very many 1892 Tulas left.

An excellent addition to your collection! :bigrin:

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:39 pm 

Thanks SW.
I took the carbine apart this afternoon for cleaning and will try to get some more info on this particular carbine.
I'll post the info and more pictures asap.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:55 pm 
OUTLAW

martin WOW!!.I have never seen one of those carbines before.a very fine and rare carbine for your mosin nagant collection.
congrats.
pete

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:28 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

... :-o ...amazing... :-o ...I've never heard of such an "animal"... :-o :lol .....in the 3rd pic down-the screws.....are they the original or replacements???...they look newer on my monitor-but I have no knowledge to base that question on them to be able to say that.... :rotflma:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

dittos pete and mario , thats a real gem

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:36 pm 

Thanks.
I'm very proud that I can add this one to my collection.
Mario.....to answer your question on the screws.........they are original.
All metal parts on this carbine are in very good condition.
Only the wood has some "battle scars", but that is something I like about a rifle.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:31 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...absolutely amazing......it has to be rare,well at least on this side of the pond.....anyone seen one of these here???....I havent heard of or seen one-but then again I'm fairly new to Mosins :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:24 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Just when I thought I'd seen just about every sorta Mosin! Nice.

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:56 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I have seen about 4 of these while in Finland and they are very collectable. Nice find!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:40 am 

Some additional pictures I took of my St Petersburg cavalry school carbine.
I just cleaned it and for the rest left the carbine as it is.
The carbine is actually a cut down Tula M91.

The rear sight looks very much like the rear sight of the carbine 1907.

The carbine has a stepped barrel to accommodate the so called Gulkevich bayonet (sorry, no pics).
This is a folding bayonet that, when folded, fits the scabbard that is attached to the right side of the carbine.
It is especially made for this carbine.
A normal M91 bayonet can be attached to this carbine, but it will not fit the scabbard.

Left: rear barrel band
Right: front barrel band including front sling swivel

Attached scabbard

Rear sling swivel on left side of buttstock.

This is how the rear sling swivel is fastened on the right side of the buttstock.

Sure would like to know what this marking means.
It's very faint.

So many questions with no answers (yet)
I love this hobby. :D

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:48 pm 
Opinionated Old Fart

...in this article http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/M1907-Carbine.asp
...down at the bottom it shows a proof mark that size...but I've never seen proof marks on the stock of a weapon...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:50 pm 
OUTLAW

good eye sheepdog we have you on your way to mosinities and there isn't a cure. :lol
pete

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:12 am 
Opinionated Old Fart

...ok...general question...on this bolt, for example, there's not a finish...yet it's not a mass of rust...is it because it's been kept well-oiled all the years or because the mix in the steel resisted rust better'n the steels today??? I see bare, rustless parts on a lot of these...were their steels better???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:07 am 
OUTLAW

they used good steel in the these rifles sheepdog.it is rare you find rusty bolts unless someone didn't do a good cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo in them.that said I have seen some bolts turn a Patina.my 1898 M91 bolt has done that.btw to me just looks kool :D .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:51 pm 

Thanks for the link sheepdog.
I appreciate it.
txpete is right.
They did use good steel back then.
Cleaning and maintenance did the rest.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:08 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

Wow Martin,
THAT's a nice find !
I'm not really into Mosins, but this one is exceptional. Did you pay much for it ?
I do hope it's "live", not mutilated...
Brgds, A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:13 pm 

Hello Andrey.
I agree....this is a very nice find.
I didn't pay much for this carbine compared to some prices I've seen in the Internet.

Most important.........this one is LIVE.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:17 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

In belgium a "regular" (long) model wil go for 250 - 280. A sniper complete with scope will be more expensive of course but are available. So is the SVT40 at 400 or so (you need a liscense for that one as it's semi-auto). Check the website of "Armurerie Colmant", this guy gets them from Russia direct. We've been buying AKM's and ammo from him (with ppwk of course).
Brgds, A