[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Found another one and I need some help

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Found another one and I need some help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:35 pm 
Major
Major

Ok this sniper seems to be the real deal, I believe it's an early Century import back when they were selling the real ones. so the question is is it worth $500.Is it the real deal? the scope mount has a number on it that matches the receiver and the mount has the Russian triangles on it, see the pics.

Post subject: Re: Found another one and I need some help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

looks really nice - but i know nothing :lol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:02 pm 
Major
Major

What happened to all our really well informed mosin collectors? I had got some info when I posted the last sniper I had found but the info has since disappeared. The forums seem to be slowing down a bit from when I first joined.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:22 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I think the forums in general are slowing down - I see it on other sites, too. I haven't a clue - economy? Possibly.

Even on the "big site" ( starts with a g ;) ) people aren't posting as much.

I just can't help with the Russian stuff - a friend in O-o-o-o-hio has most of mine now. I can tell you about Itaian stuff & Marlins, but that's pretty much it. SW

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:20 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Electro pencilling makes me nervous. The brits did it too- but not on guns or mounts. Dad had a range finding naval telescope- marked in similar fashion.
I know as much as the others here. Give the g-forum try- maybe someones snoozing over there.
Just about all the forums I'm on die off around deer season time- and crank up again after Christmas...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:57 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...maybe some of us just plain dont know anything about those :roll: ...especially with all the repros lately....heck-I dont know enough about the originals :rotflma: ...besides,I'm lazy...i hate clicking links to photo albums to see stuff-dont look as good to me,along with all the peripherals :-? ...I prefer seein' the pics posted here...:grin:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Wish I knew what to tell you. Dutch Mosin & TX Pete know a heck of a lot more than I do on these.

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:20 pm 
Major
Major

It's amazing how little info there is on them readily available. Some of the internet information is contradicting. I get real nervous buying stuff when I can't find a lot of information on them. If I am wrong about this one then its a $105 mistake. To bad they don't make the importers mark them repro or refurb, would make it a heck of a lot easier for all of us. I spend as much on reference books as I do on some of the guns so I don't make mistakes, but there are not any good books on Russian sniper rifles.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:18 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I just checked the mosin-nagant.net site & their sniper artical has been taken down temporarily.

Couldn't find anything on 7.62X54r.net either :-?

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:29 am 
Major
Major

And that would be the problem. someone could make some good money writing a book about them!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:02 pm 
OUTLAW

ok I will take a shot at it.I think its a rebuild.the reciever has a box X.

http://russian-mosin-nagant.com/fakesniper.html

the scope also has the boxed X...or refurb.

with the scope mounted a real sniper the reticle should be "well" centered.if it is off to the left or right its a fake.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/sniper%20sec ... ghting.asp

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/RIFLES7.htm

http://www.mosinnagant.net/sniper%20sec ... otos12.asp

now if you go through all these links and read them you will have your answer.

as always buyer beware....

pete

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:16 pm 
International Man of Mystery

Subhunter76

You are right about info on soviet snipers.
There’s just not much detailed info on this subject.
I’d like to give you my opinion on your rifle using the pictures you provided.
Here’s what I check on a PU sniper before I decide to buy one:

1) The stock.
I check the left side of the stock where they cut out a piece of wood to make space for the base of the mount.
If the edges are sharp it’s a job recently done.
Doesn’t seem to be the case on your rifle. :D

2) The rifle
Year of manufacturing is 1943.
This means that the PU is the correct scope for this rifle.
It’s manufactured by Izhevsk.
That’s correct too.
Only Tula and Izhevsk manufactured PU snipers.

3) I can’t find any info(I mean proof) on what the meaning of the number on the left side of the barrel is.
In your case it’s the same as the #number.
On my PU sniper this number is different from the #number.
Supposedly it has to be the same as the scope number. (as far as I know)
Again…..no proof

4) The scope.
On the scope I check the calibration screws of the elevation and windage adjustment knobs.
When they are flat, they are post war.

5) High wall
I check the receiver.
The high wall is correct.

Conclusion.
I think Pete is right.
What you have is a rebuilt.
Why: the mount is electropenciled and matches the rifle’s #number.
That’s what the Russians did back then.
My guess is the mount and base are post war.
I’m not sure about the barrel and receiver, but the stock seems to be from an original sniper.
PU scope seems to be an original one.
The boxed X means it has been refurbished.
I can’t find the meaning of the letter M. next to the boxed X.
On my PU scope you will find the year the scope was refurbished.

One more thing.
If I had the money, I’d buy the rifle for that price.
Compared to European prices this rebuilt is a steele.

I hope my post is of some use.
It’s an honest opinion.
Even the “big Mosin Nagant forums” close their articles on snipers.
That most mean something.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:42 pm 
Major
Major

Well it looks like J&G is sell there new repo snipers for $495 So I guess I can't go wrong. RGuns is sell so called real snipers for $800

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:45 am 

Subhunter76,

I checked their site.
They are very honest about the rifle, new scopes, new mounts and turned down bolts.
IMHO $449.95 is a very good price.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:41 am 
Major
Major

Well that's why I figured that I can't go wrong with this one because its at least an original.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:04 am 
Major
Major

I picked up the rifle a couple of weeks ago. I needed one for my collection anyway. I can't wait to see how well it shoots.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:34 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I have 5 of the real ones that came in years back and are eclectic penciled. The electric pencil makings on yours look very suspicious to me. If it’s easy to zero and the center post stays close to the center of the scope objective it’s probably real. The fake ones do not zero very well and the center post ends up in one of the corners of the scope objective.

I hope that helps.