[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Last Ditch Rifle Quiz

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Last Ditch Rifle Quiz
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:11 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Ok, I want to see if I can inspire you guys to hit the books a little. It doesn't hurt & will make you better collectors. I just picked this up recently. Really a crude dude. Note that even the bore is off center to the barrel. Now Riceone, you stay out of this - what is it? Hint - this is so easy :)
I'm sorry to browbeat on you guys from time to time, but I come to these sites to learn & to share what little I know. It just always seems that here you guys are just bumping around in a dark room & can't find the light switch. Collecting these rifles is so much more enjoyable when you know what you're doing. This is especially true when you find a rare piece for a cheap price. I have such a purchase coming & will post it when it arrives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:43 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

jinsen special last ditch? don't see a series mark, but all my reference materials are 5 states away. Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:25 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Jinsen for sure, 40th series late. Only the second Jinsen T-99 I've ever owned. So ugly it's beautiful!
I don't yet know what those O marks in the stock are all about. My earlier Jinsen doesn't have them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:09 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:00 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Most of what I've collected lately, including my two Jinsens, I got through the internet - either through on-line auctions or from other collectors. The gun shows out here in Commiefornia are mostly pretty lean pickings. Still, I have pulled a few diamonds out of the sawdust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:39 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I need to bite the bullet and buy things from GunBroker

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:31 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

The "0" is a mark indicating 'second' class in fit and finish; actually it may mean 'not first class' for different reasons - the rough turning of the barrel, or the unfinished front band for example.

Use of the 'O' is curious, as earlier production markings, using a much smaller 'o', indicated a superior quality arm.

Adogs,
nice picts as usual. These late Jinsen rifles are only crude on the outside, they did work as intended, i.e. firing at the enemy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:00 pm 
Captain
Captain

Im way off here, but maby its a "Kyber Pass Special" done by a 14 year old kid with a vice, some files a crude barel lathe and a hacksaw....

It could be his "Exit Exam" from Akmahds shool of Gunsmithing, and the requst was a Jap 99 to fill a hole in the teachers collection.... ;) :lol

I just love the last Ditch, the crude but effective, and still very deadly.

I get what I can, when it comes to info, and untill the internet, books were it. Dang few books....

You have a cool rifle.

Last edited by ehailstone on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:24 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

It is a unique slice of history. I'd certainly like to pick one up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:44 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

crude but very interesting :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:10 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I would NOT have spotted that one! I would have taken the 'O' for a cartridge case pressed into the stock by a bored soldier.

In the Italian world, you see Greek Orthodox crosses so pressed into the stock - any manner of deisgns...

That's why I have never bought any Arisakas - I know zero point nuttin about them & would get burned 1st thing I bought. SW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:13 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Saw a last ditch at the last gunshow I went to at Hawkeye Downs, but it was a bit out of my price range, and not what my collection needs now. But I did think of this one when I saw it and how "someday" I'll need one for my collection :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:14 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:41 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - King Leonidas I of Sparta

Visit "Smokeless Powder", my firearms and 2nd Amendment blog: http://fingolfen.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:27 am 
Corporal
Corporal

Last edited by DeFuc on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:16 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

The content of any post made by me is not meant to insult, offend, P.O. or otherwise upset any reader. The content of any posts made by me reflect my views only and do not reflect those of other members of this Board. So don't get your briefs/panties in a twist!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:43 am 
Corporal
Corporal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:34 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:55 pm 

According to the US Army Technical Intelligence Report Number 1, Jinsen Arsenal is spelled JINSEN. Don't know where the Jensen came from, but I am sure ye olde one will tell us in no uncertain terms. ;) :grin:

Was able to finally obtain a copy of that report recently and it was a fine read. Basically the same info was presented in BANZAI (or is it BONZAI? lol) a few months back. Always interesting to read about Jinsen (Inchon) Arsenal. From the looks of it, this arsenal put out some of the most crudest T-99's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:01 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

The 1985 Type 99 book was based on a parts ID sheet a NY collector published in Banzai in the late 70s. Unfortunately it was published as if it were complete and he did not ask for additions, etc. At that time no one was involved in T 99 research.

Over the years the ID sheet evolved as more parts features were recognized. I don't believe dust cover grooves or the lack thereof were covered, the bolt release was. The major change observed in the late Jensen rifles, seem like these occur around the 78k serial number range upward, was the flat top front band, a distinctive feature. "Special" was the best I could come up with at the time. Have since wished I had just used the term "flat-top front band." There may be differences in stock design, etc, but the flat top band is the identifying feature. Perhaps if the other 99 book in the planning stage is ever published there will be additional data to define the minor differences that may be found on these late Jensens.

The content of any post made by me is not meant to insult, offend, P.O. or otherwise upset any reader. The content of any posts made by me reflect my views only and do not reflect those of other members of this Board. So don't get your briefs/panties in a twist!