[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - ? Type 44 carbine question

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:38 pm 
Major
Major

I have a chance to pick up a type 44 carbine ,matching with the mum and bayonet for $250. I don't really need the rifle but it seems like a good deal. Does anyone have any opinon on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:32 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

If it's in decent conditon at all you should have brought it home already!

Last edited by arisakadogs on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:23 am 
Major
Major

Well I am going to go take a look at it tomorrow and if it all looks good , I'll get it and post some picks on this thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:15 pm 
Major
Major

Well turns out it was not matching , but the mum is there and its a four digit serial number. So I bought it anyway cause the price still seemed right and I on't see to many of them.pics to follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:45 pm 
Major
Major

Ok here it is, upon closer inspection tonight I noticed things. So you tell me yocky, still a good deal. The sides on the front sight are gone, there is a slight chip at the wrist on the stock.No cleaning rod or dust cover. nice bore , strong action. the bayonet,bolt and floor plate do not match.Here are the picks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:31 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Damn, not what I was hopin to see. :-( Still, for the price you paid, you did OK. This is an early Tokyo and many of these have seen hard use in China. The sight protectors being gone are the worst flaw, and that will be the first thing anyone notices.
These days, it's getting hard to find really nice T-44s & when you do find one, it will cost you an arm & a leg! Still, to see these unique carbines in pristine condition is breath taking (they usually have excellent worksmanship). At the same time - the well used ones can be like 'history in your hands'. Many have amazing wear to the wood on the left side due to the cavalry use they were designed for.
With my limited space & $$, I've kept my T-44 selection to the basic three variations;
Tokyo, 1st style bayonet housing (has rods in the butt trap)
Kokura, 2nd style bayonet housing
Nagoya, 3rd style bayonet housing (has the rods)
This not only covers the three basic variations but also the three different manufacturers of these carbines.

The muzzle covers for these weapons are pretty amazing pieces of metal & machining work. Here's a Kokura made one and a Nagoya. I still need the cover for the first variation Tokyo - it didn't have the sight protector.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:54 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I was looking at your photos some more. Yours has the "trooper wear" on the left side caused by many hours of being slung across a cavalry troopers back. Sometimes these are worn clear down to the metal!
Riceone might be able to help you with that front sight. I don't know why some people snipped these off. Yockey is right - ya done good for that price!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:27 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

wow those are very immpressive rifles and i agree thecraftsmenship in those sight/muzzle protectors is incredable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:53 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

I doubt the front sight guards were 'sniped' off, quitle likely broken in use or abuse.

They guards are pretty fragile; I have one early 44 with one side broken off, another with both missing.

Still a good deal for the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i realise to those of you that collect these the variations are leaping out of these photos , but i had to look a miniute to see the bayonete variations , - now its obvious the reduced metal -diferent connection devices , and so on , i for one who enjoy these vicariously particularly appreciate your great photos - i can actualy see the details you all catch right away

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:28 pm 
Major
Major

Well I am relieved you all still think it was a good deal. Now time to make heads spin. I have a lead on another one, and the guy says it's all matching with the mum and dustcover. I might be getting it for less then I picked up this one. As always if it happens I'll post picks, I have to get the cash together.

Question? How do you get the pics to post right on the page so you don't have to use the link?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:45 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

if you use photobucket - there is a series of codes below the photo - the bottom one works for me - cut & paste with the right mouse button , there may be a better explanation by someone computer literate [which im not] hopefully they will explain better than i :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:11 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Good luck on the new T-44 prospect!

Post subject: You made me do it.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:33 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Here are my Three.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:42 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Very nice riceone. Your 1'st variation looks just like mine! No Kidding. Now If I could just find a second, and a third variation that looked like that... :P

jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:40 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

you guys are killin me here , both of you have superb examples of these very fine rifles , im humbled

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:09 am 
Major
Major

Last edited by subhunter76 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:13 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

it really is isnt it , and its amazing how the mind works - just when you think you have found the ones to meet your goals - you see that one you just gotta have , :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:52 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:55 pm 
Major
Major