Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:02 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I know that some just have a fit if you talk about refinishing a Japanese rifle stock. But which had you rather have - a stock someone has already mess with and has an ugly finish or one that looks similar to the original. After years of fooling with stains and colors I have found that only three ingrediants are needed to duplicate the color of most any Japanese stock. At the meeting in February I will show what is needed. riceone.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:08 pm 
PFC
PFC

A newbie post here.. I recently purchased a T38 with a matching bolt and a very very good bore but the stock had clearly been bubbaed. I will be shooting and reloading the 6.5x50 ammo this this rifle. I'd like to know a little bit more about the original posters stock refinishing thoughts and techniques. As said I am new to this forum and not aware of how to find his information.
TIA for pointing me in the right direction.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:39 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Antique Maple Stain, Yellow Stain and some sort of Brown stain. I put the quanity of yellow that I think it will take to cover the stock. Then I add in very small amounts of the maple till I get close. If it needs to be darker I put a drop or two of the brown in it. I can't get any more specific than that because each one is an experimetn. As you mix try it oftn on some similar unstained wood. When you get the stock the color you want you will then need to put something on it to give alittle shine. I sometimes use yellow shellac or a light coat of linspeed oil. One of the rifles pictured below was refinished by me.

riceone

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:42 am 
The Knife
The Knife

They all look normal to me.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:35 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I bought the middle one back in the 60"s for $20 - having not much sense I sanded it and put linspeed oil on it and it was a blond rifle. Some years back I took that off and put the finish you see on.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:24 pm 
PFC
PFC

Riceone thanks for this response. I'll be trying to go from a dark walnut brown so I'll start out with oxalic acid bath to bleach it out and then go with your recommendations.