[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - I Bought a Beater

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Bought a Beater
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:01 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Well, I went a little way out on a limb on this one. I've never owned a T-30 before. This one has a messed up stock & only the Lord knows what someone had in mind with that thing on the butt. Still, the metal looks to be in decent shape with a concentric circle cancel on the Mum. What I really liked is that nice early sling with the welted edges. Has it's rod as well & I hope it's the correct T-30 rod with the brass tip. I'm anxious to see it in person.
http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/Displ ... =8424266.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:30 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I saw that one - I've already got a decent Type 30, so I decided to pass on it. Post pix once you get it home and cleaned up.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - King Leonidas I of Sparta

Visit "Smokeless Powder", my firearms and 2nd Amendment blog: http://fingolfen.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:30 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

What is that thingie on the butt? Is that part of the tomato stake rig? :P :D Need to borrow a saw for that limb?

Good luck on her! :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:28 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Last edited by arisakadogs on Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:52 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Around here we call those pussy pads! :lol
Looks to me like some kind of extension dodad.
Maybe someone with long arms had it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:07 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

That is probably the thing some fella needing more "pull".
With that nice sling and if the rod is correct I feel like I pretty much broke even on this. Now, If I can just replace the buttplate - that's better yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:00 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Looks like the vet, or someone, carved their initials into the wood. I wouldn't have looked twice if it wasn't for the sling, rod & the metal condition. Sure would like to run across a minty T-30 rifle & carbine.
I'm wondering about the buttplate as well. I really hope the metal one is still there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:21 am 
PFC
PFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:02 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:23 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

I would say you bought the sling and rod and got a free rifle.

You can probably replace the buttplate with one from a T 38.

If you need either extractor or ejector, I have a couple left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:55 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:50 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:22 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I can't seem to put this rifle down. I really like it. I sold the acrylic butt thing and a T-38 plate fit nicely. The bolt has all the parts - extractor, ejector, etc. It's a total mismatch but a really cool rifle. I'm slowly soaking & scrubbing the bore & I think I may be able to put a few through it at the upcoming Arizona shoot. I'll go & grab a few photos to add to this post.

Here's some photos. These early slings are very scarce & this one is in excellent condition, especially for being over 100 years old. I already had the muzzle cover in the photos. This cover will not fit on the small sight T-38s as the muzzle is about 1/4" longer on them.
Oh yeah, the letters on the stock are paint, not carved, so I can probably get it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:35 pm 
PFC
PFC

Sure looks better with that add on butt plate gone. You know these were rebuilt so many times I wouldn't worry about it being mis-matched. Of course that muzzle cover would better on my Type-30. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:43 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

With a little TLC, elbow grease.... Now that is a strange recoil pad!

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:16 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

It was hard acrylic so it wasn't really a "recoil pad". This caliber certainly doesn't need one anyway. The T-30 stock is about a 1/2" shorter than the T-38 so I think it was just to lengthen the stock a bit. I'm just glad no further modifications were done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:43 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Adogs,
You did real well with this one....nor your typical Nagoya, but nice addition non the less!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:41 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant