[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Midget Submarine?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Midget Submarine?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Here's one for you grasshoppers, back in the late 40s, early 50s there was a midget sub on a large flat bed truck that toured the country. "Doors" had been cut in the aft and forward ends so you could walk in the back and exit the front. Turns out you had to pay to exit (I think). I remember going through with my mother and she tried to exit the way we came in and was stopped. Can't believe dear ole mom was so tight, but that's the only reason I can imagine her attempt to back track. I've always wondered where that sub ended up?

Perhaps someone very long of tooth like Riceone may know?

The content of any post made by me is not meant to insult, offend, P.O. or otherwise upset any reader. The content of any posts made by me reflect my views only and do not reflect those of other members of this Board. So don't get your briefs/panties in a twist!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:14 am 
PFC
PFC

The only midget sub that I ever heard about that toured the states was Ens Sakamaki's , captured following the attack on Hawaii and then used for war bond drives. Being only 6 ft. in diameter and still having most of it's machinery installed, it would be impossible to walk thru it. A catwalk was installed alongside the sub on its trailer and square veiwing holes were cut in its hull so the interior could be seen. Don't know why a sub of any type would be touring in the late 40's/early 50's? Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:24 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

The war ended when Dad was a Civil Engineer with the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA.) I saw the sub when I lived in Sheffield, AL which was after he took the job as County Highway Engineer for Colbert County so would have been post war. As I remember it was a tight fit through the sub, but if the Japanese could do it ....

The content of any post made by me is not meant to insult, offend, P.O. or otherwise upset any reader. The content of any posts made by me reflect my views only and do not reflect those of other members of this Board. So don't get your briefs/panties in a twist!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:22 am 
PFC
PFC

It will be interesting to find out just what you remember seeing. I want to know what happened to the LST [don't recollect the #] that toured up and down the Mississippi loaded with captured Japanese equipment-take that back, I know the ship was scrapped, what became of its' treasures? Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:38 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:30 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

I remember one of my relatives (seems it may have been my mother) telling me about going to see a submarine that was brought around on a flat car ,to fairs and such when she was a little girl.One of those traveling shows, where you paid to look at some oddity.Anyway you could walk thru it, no clue if its the same one or even if it was german or japanese..I scoured the net all night but didnt find anything about it. Or any traveling submarine display..I did find a sort of cool in a rather cheesy way ,japanese navy site while looking for any reference to a japanese sub tour http://www.combinedfleet.com/kaigun.htm Nothing about a tour but some cool info on the japanese navy..I shall keep looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:11 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I have some pictures of a wrecked one up on a bank on Kiska Island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:53 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

tarawa,
post your pictures if you can, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:26 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

there was a sub on a truckbed in a outdoor museum in omaha [along with a couple other vessels that was open and passable as you describe , but so many years ago and i cant recall whos it was - not a mini-sub , these were very small

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:17 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject: Kiska Sub.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:56 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:03 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:07 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im a little guy and even i know im not walkin thru that hull , :lol , specialy this late in life :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:36 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:30 am 

Here's an old postcard that I picked up somewhere. If you look at the detail closely, you can see civilians lined up and appear to be waiting to gaze into or walk into the sub. Also the small description on the back. Unfortunately it is not marked as to where the photo was taken and it's postally unused. Kim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:11 am 
International Man of Mystery
International Man of Mystery

Wow, fantastic picture kfields.
Thanks for sharing.
Oh and welcome.
I hope you like this place as much as I do.
Stick around for a while, make some more posts and get to know us a bit better.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:26 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

This is a picture I've always found interesting: Kazuo Sakamaki, the commander of HA-19 that washed ashore on Oahu Dec.7th, walking around his displayed sub. It had to bring back some memories, for sure...
Also, for the Bond Tour, they cut 3 or 4 small windows into one side of the hull for viewing purposes. The interior was too cramped and filled with equipment to walk thru, thus the 'windows'. Price of admission was a War Bond purchase.
JohnB/
[img][img]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii29/byf45/ha19-kazuosakamaki.jpg[/img][/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:21 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:45 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

After the war HA-19 was on display in Key West, FL for many years, falling into a state of disrepair. In 1991 it was rescued and refurbished by the National Museum of the Pacific War (Nimitz) in Fredericksburg, TX, where is resides today. The photo is probably taken there, as they have had many seminars and symposiums over the the years, and ex-Ensign Sakamaki was probably a guest. It has also been declared an National Historic Landmark.
This photo also shows an interior cross-section of her and why "inside tours" wouldn't be feasible.
JohnB/
[img][img]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii29/byf45/ha19.jpg[/img][/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:45 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Thanks John, That sucker is tiny. Anybody care to guess how wide that passageway is? I'm guessing 12" or less based on that chiefs hand.
Ray